Who We Need & What You’ll Do
AccuWeather is seeking a Weather & Environmental Data Partnerships Manager to lead and manage the company’s relationships with weather and environmental data providers worldwide. The utilization of top-tier foundational weather and environmental data within AccuWeather’s innovative products and services is at the core of the company’s mission to save lives and protect property.
The Manager of Weather & Environmental Data Partnerships is responsible for managing and developing AccuWeather’s strategic partnerships with key government National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHS), weather industry data partners, and other meteorological and environmental data and content partners from around the globe. AccuWeather’s industry-leading partnerships with NMHS offer greater awareness for our government partners while delivering valuable new datasets for AccuWeather users. This role will further expand these highly successful partnerships while demonstrating AccuWeather’s leadership, which is particularly important since the WMO continues to strongly encourage greater engagement between the public, private and academic sectors operating in the global weather enterprise.
The continual development of these relationships significantly contributes to the success of all AccuWeather’s lines of businesses by ensuring the availability of the best foundational weather and environmental data for integrations into global products and services. The role will also be responsible for identifying and developing new partnerships based on the business needs of AccuWeather. This individual will also collaborate with multiple departments at AccuWeather, specifically Product, IT, Forecasting, Legal, and Business Development/Sales teams.
To be successful in this role, this individual must possess business acumen, a high level of knowledge of meteorology and environmental data, and its application to build or enhance products and services that support consumers and businesses. It is pivotal this individual demonstrates the ability to be a strategic thinker and effective communicator who engages positively and collaboratively. You will report to the Manager, Business Development.
If you have a passion for weather, technology, leveraging data, business, business strategy, and most importantly relationship building with people from around the world, then this is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for you.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Serve as the relationship manager for existing AccuWeather partnerships and cultivate them to realize and optimize value from the partnership while reducing cost and enhancing the value
- Foster opportunities with potential data partners, lead exploratory talks, build consensus with AccuWeather leadership, assist with the negotiation of partnerships, operationally manage partnerships to deliver results, and build strong, long-term, mutually beneficial partner relationships
- Serve as the primary point of contact with internal business stakeholders about data availability
- Proactively survey the marketplace to find partnership opportunities, maintain contacts within Industry, government, academia, etc.
- Lead the development of relationships with academic and industry entities with innovative foundational content
- Produce quarterly reports of weather alert reach for key NMHS partners.
- Interact directly with our Product, IT, and Forecasting Operations teams to understand and discuss meteorological technical requirements in support of the client-facing products and services
- Maintain exceptional relationships with key business stakeholders through communication and collaboration
- Collaborate with team leaders on the prioritization of weather and environmental data needs of the business as well as the development of key markets AccuWeather plans to expand and grow into
- Assist with the cataloging, documentation, and communication of available data sets with internal business stakeholders
- Lead presentations with business stakeholders on data and partnership opportunities to gain consensus
- Support the addition of data into AccuWeather’s API and other data distribution platforms and tools
- Work collaboratively with business development, sales, and customers to understand and stay ahead of new data requirements and trends
- Maintain a deep understanding of technology and data trends/developments that present new business opportunities for AccuWeather. Monitor the competitive landscape
- Ensure core weather and environmental content is being leveraged successfully in all AccuWeather products & services
- Make suggestions regarding M&A opportunities for AccuWeather
- Conduct market research to evaluate products and capabilities
- Ability to travel 15% to conferences, trade shows, visit existing/potential partners, etc.
- Other duties may be assigned
- BS in meteorology, atmospheric science or other related field or a combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of meteorological and environmental datasets is strongly desired
- Experience with the Global Weather Enterprise and the World Meteorological Organization community strongly desired
- Ability to speak multiple languages is helpful but not required
- A minor in business or related field experience
- Demonstrated business acumen and client-facing experience is required
- Must have experience in building and maintaining partnership relationships
- Experience in negotiating agreements and business terms preferred
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of how to translate complex datasets into innovative products and services
- Detail-oriented, able to multi-task, and collaborate as a member of a dedicated team
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable presenting and communicating complex scientific information to teams of different levels and background knowledge
- Must be able to interpret, analyze and apply scientific research to operations
- Ability to work across disciplines and teams to create opportunities for partners in a cross-functional environment
- AccuWeather will consider remote candidates in the following US States: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, and WY
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.