Who We Need & What You’ll Do
Want to be part of a team that is at the forefront of developing and maintaining cutting edge desktop software that is used by the AccuWeather forecasting department to create mission critical and lifesaving warnings and forecasts? We are looking for a Senior Software Developer that displays an interest in and passion for technical design, development and problem solving; someone who likes to analyze and build systems and help identify areas of improvement.
Reporting directly to the Manager, Core Weather Technologies, this position will be responsible for developing and maintaining AccuWeather’s innovative SmartWarn desktop application. Leveraging modern technologies and architectural approaches, you will translate forecasting and meteorological needs into world class, high performing code and systems. You will demonstrate skill in multiple technologies, solve technical problems, and collaborate with peers and stakeholders in an Agile-based environment, to deliver both real-time data and best of breed experiences that cater to a global audience.
Remote Candidates are being considered for this opportunity.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Design and develop secure, high-quality code and unit test artifacts
- Review and contribute to technical specifications
- Work closely with design teams to graduate mockups to functional interfaces/features
- Leverage client and server-side technologies to build modern components for desktop applications
- Collaborate with Forecasting, Product, Technology, and Design to develop and deliver innovative user experiences
- Prototype, test, and iterate upon new features
- Recommends updates to established processes and standards
- Influence peers and mentor junior team members
- Initiates relationships across function and departments
- Champion an enthusiastic, positive, work environment
- Other duties as assigned
- BS/BA in related discipline with 5+ years’ experience in related field - OR - MS/MA and 3+ years’ experience in related field
- Comprehensive knowledge of modern programming and scripting languages such as C++, Google Go, C#, Java, and Qt
- Deep knowledge in object-oriented computer programming methodologies
- Demonstrated experience building desktop applications (C++) and desktop UI (Qt Framework)
- Demonstrated experience with graphics and hardware accelerated rendering (OpenGL, Vulkan)
- Linux operating system knowledge
- Advocate for version control and CI / CD with an automate-first mindset (Git, Mercurial, Jenkins, Docker, Azure DevOps)
- Understanding of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) such as Esri, Mapbox, and Leaflet
- Understanding of unit testing frameworks and tools
- Self-driven; excellent problem-solving skills; adaptable and accountable for decisions
- Excellent verbal and written communication and collaboration skills
- Identifies areas of improvement within scope of work and contributes to enhancements
- Advocate for quality and adherence to security principles
- In the United States, AccuWeather is only able to hire team members in the following states due to taxation purposes: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI and WY.
- Remote candidates are being considered for this position
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.