AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businessines in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
AccuWeather is looking for an experienced Data Engineer to support our growing Cloud Migration initiatives. This candidate should have demonstrated experience and knowledge in developing and maintaining scalable data pipelines, monitoring data quality, data warehousing, and building and maintaining data processing systems for mining, acquisition, and modeling. This position will work cross-functionally with Development, Product and other groups, in an Agile-based development environment.
This hands-on position also requires broad competence and technical knowledge of processing and analytical tools such as Spark, Tableau, and R. Candidates should also have experience with cloud computing. We are also looking for someone who possess a deep knowledge of relational databases, column-oriented databases, and languages such as Java, Python, and SQL.
Remote candidates in Canada and the United States are being considered for this mid-level opportunity.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet business requirements
- Develop and maintain scalable pipelines
- Perform extraction, transformation, loading, and optimization of data from various sources
- Build analytical tools that provide insight into key business metrics
- Work with internal and external stakeholders including the product and executive teams to meet and exceed client expectations
- Perform data analysis and troubleshoot data issues
- Define data assets and data models
- Other duties as assigned
- 7or more years of experience in data engineering or related field
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and inter-departmental challenges
- Ability to make prompt and sound decisions when faced with complex and often contradictory alternatives that result in successful outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to be self-driven with excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, along with collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
- Excellent experience with cloud based architectures
- Experience with Agile software methodology a plus
- Proficiency in languages such as Python, SQL, and Java
- Experience with both relational and non-relational databases
- Remote candidates in Canada and the United States are being considered for this opportunity
- In the United States, AccuWeather is only able to hire team members in the following states due to taxation purposes: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI and WY.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.