AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businessines in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Reporting directly to the Senior Manager of Backend Technologies, the Lead Software Developer will be responsible for designing, developing and maintaining the AccuWeather Software Development Kit (SDK) and various other core systems. Modelling an enthusiastic and positive work environment, you will lead a team of 4-6 software developers who will be working with you on the same initiatives. Leveraging modern backend/middle-tier technologies and architectural approaches, you will translate logical requirements into world class production code.
The Lead Software Developer is a subject matter expert in their field who is an advocate for innovation. Through both independent and collaborative means, you will use extensive experience to analyze tasks, ask questions, write code, strive for quality, peer review work, recommend optimizations and ensure processes are followed throughout the lifecycle. You operate cross-functionally and contribute to processes, standards, and principles covering the entire delivery lifecycle. This position will demonstrate technical leadership skills, be able to simplify complex technical communication into easy-to-understand terms and help solve business-impacting challenges.
Remote candidates are being considered for this exciting mid-level opportunity.
- Design and develop secure, high quality and scalable backend/middleware code
- Proactively lead the SDK and Toolkit teams for Business, Subscriptions and Consumer products
- Ability to break down architectural or logical requirements into development tasking for team
- Work with Product representatives and leadership to set expectations and create roadmaps for development initiatives
- Provide leadership and guide team members in technical and career growth
- Peer review code and recommend optimizations
- Define development principles and best practices
- Contribute creative solutions to complex problems
- Design, develop and maintain modular features and products
- Leverage best of breed technology standards and conventions to build scalable, reliable solutions
- Prototype, test and iterate upon new features
- Facilitates team communications and leads discussions across the team and functional groups
- Ensure team meets delivery milestones with high-quality and timely releases
- Communicates status, risks to schedules and offers mitigation strategies to ensure on-time delivery of all committed projects across the delivery lifecycle
- Other duties as assigned
- BS/BA in related discipline with 8 or more years of experience in related field - OR - MS/MA and 5 or more years of experience in related field
- Subject matter expert in development/software engineering field
- Demonstrated experience in a lead position, including prior hands-on development experience
- Expert-level knowledge of object-oriented development methodologies in C# (ASP.Net / ASP .NET Core)
- Working knowledge of Kotlin/Java, Swift, Node.js
- Experience with Service Fabric, Kubernetes, Docker, or other container orchestration framework
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and inter-departmental challenges
- Understanding of unit testing frameworks and tools
- Experience with version control systems and CI/CD processes (Git, SVN – Jenkins, Azure DevOps, etc.)
- Experience with cloud-based architectures (Azure, AWS, GCP)
- Excellent understanding of security principles, standards, and conventions
- Experience with distributed systems or microservice architectures
- Self-driven with highly-proficient problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
- In the United States, AccuWeather is only able to hire team members in the following states due to taxation purposes: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI and WY
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.