AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, Technology, the SmartWarn Software Developer will be responsible for the developing and maintaining the AccuWeather for Business forecasting desktop application and associated integrations. Leveraging modern technologies and architectural approaches, you will translate forecasting and meteorological needs into world class production code.
This position will work cross-functionally with Forecasting, Development, Product and other groups, in an Agile-based development environment, to deliver both real-time data and best of breed experiences that cater to a global audience.
Remote candidates are being considered for this opportunity.
- Develop functional, efficient, and well-structured code, and test artifacts
- Work closely with design teams to graduate mockups to functional interfaces/features
- Leverage client and server-side technologies to build modern components for desktop applications
- Work closely with Forecasting, Product, and Design to develop innovative user experiences
- Prototype, test, and iterate upon new features
- BS/BA in related discipline with 3+ years’ experience in related field
- Proficient in modern programming languages such as C++, Google Go, C#, and Java
- Proficient in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) such as Esri, MapBox, and Leaflet
- Self-driven; good problem-solving skills; adaptable and willing to take ownership
- Good verbal and written communication and collaboration skills
- Experience building desktop applications (C++, SQL, Google Go) and desktop UI (Qt framework)
- Experience with hardware accelerated rendering (OpenGL)
- Demonstrates critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to small-to-moderate projects
- Experience with version control systems and CI/CD processes (Git, Mercurial, SVN – Jenkins, Azure DevOps, etc.)
- Understanding of unit testing frameworks and tools
- Understanding of security principles, standards, and conventions
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.