AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather for Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
To support AccuWeather’s continued focus on innovation and generating industry leading weather products, we are seeking an experienced data engineer with a deep knowledge of cloud-based big data systems and associated development environments. This hands-on position requires broad technical knowledge of data assimilation methodologies and systems, with an emphasis on gridded geospatial datasets. We are seeking intrapreneurial minded, self-motivated professionals who routinely lean in and are comfortable working outside of predefined job responsibilities. The successful candidate will join a talented team of professionals who are engaged in large scale data collection efforts and will play a role in realizing our overall vision while simultaneously providing insight and subject matter expertise to influence strategy.
- Collaborate with our team of data scientists to support optimization and scalability of data used in our data assimilation environment, with an initial emphasis on historical weather data.
- Develop processes to assimilate datasets from various sources and data formats.
- Engineer or work with AccuWeather partners to develop new ways to enhance data resolution, both temporally and spatially, through techniques such as downscaling and interpolation.
- Collaborate with our team of data scientists to implement processes for data verification and confidence scoring.
- Provide subject matter expertise for optimization of data flow for CPU and GPU technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field with 5 or more years of experience in data engineering.
- Self-driven with excellent problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures, and data sets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Proficient in manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large, interspersed datasets.
- Experience working with geospatial indexing systems, such as H3 and Geohash.
- Experience with Azure cloud services: Azure VMs, Azure Databricks, SQL Database, SQL Data Warehouse.
- Comfortable working with relational SQL and non-relational databases, including SQL Server and MongoDB.
- Familiarity with meteorological data formats (NetCDF, GRIB, BUFR).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Enjoys engaging in team environment including daily stand ups and routine brainstorming.
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following: Python, C/C++, SQL, Databricks, Azure cloud environments.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.