AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather for Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Applied Meteorologist will be responsible for providing leadership and day-to-day tactical engagement in the development, integration, and execution of AccuWeather’s weather technology initiatives. This role will plan, manage, and engage in projects associated with the Weather Technology team, ensuring a strong science foundation and process that results in generating prototypes and proof of concepts. We are looking for someone who has a deep understanding of meteorology, with an initial emphasis on historical data, along with an understanding of data verification techniques and how they apply to meteorological data.
- Operate as the subject matter expert in applied meteorology, supporting the exploration and realization of solutions that drive AccuWeather’s next generation technologies.
- Establish and manage scientific goals through implementation and improvement of a process of rapid prototyping and development in a cloud-based environment.
- Perform research across a variety of meteorological datasets to understand differences in resolution, variable availability, and source inputs, with an emphasis on historical data.
- Build and maintain a data catalog to track data usage and performance.
- Support efforts related to data quality and data verification.
- Work with cross functional internal teams to bring ideas to life.
- Maintain and ensure the use of meteorological technology best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. or higher in Atmospheric Science, Computer Science, or a similar, relevant field.
- Experience working with data and systems in a cloud environment.
- Experience applying meteorological algorithms, models, or similar technologies to support unique, weather-impacted applications.
- Innovative mindset with a desire to work on a variety of projects.
- Capable of writing scripts to support exploration and verification efforts.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Enjoys engaging in team environment, including daily stand ups and routine brainstorming.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.