AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
The Senior Producer, Live Broadcast for AccuWeather will be producing compelling live video segments for the national and award-winning AccuWeather Television Network on a daily and as-needed schedule. The Senior Producer, Live Broadcast will put together the rundown for each individual segment and work with a team of on-air broadcasters, director, graphics, studio crew and video editors to develop innovative and engaging content. The weather and the news require 24/7/365 coverage and the live broadcast producer will be required to work differing hours, depending on the severity of the weather situation or breaking news story.
This mid-level position will work at AccuWeather’s Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania.
- Work with Executive Producer to deliver a unique style for the AccuWeather Television Network and cohesive cross-platform editorial voice.
- Provide key input with editorial leadership to provide guidance and quality consistency for AccuWeather digital, social video, and between dayparts.
- Produce recognizable programming that is distinctive, best-of-class production
- Deliver a comprehensive and creative explanation of weather news and information.
- Respond quickly and aggressively to breaking news and weather situations, contributing to the news team's coverage.
- Seek and produce compelling, engaging video content for the AccuWeather Television Network.
- Lead the show production process, including development of rundowns, segments, series, story selection, graphics generation, video editing and script writing.
- Lead training of producer team and lead script approval process.
- Execute and deliver strong content in a smooth and clean fashion that flows well across the entire show and all dayparts.
- Exercise strong editorial judgment and adhere to company’s standards and practices
- Other duties as assigned.
- Entrepreneurial spirit is necessary in this role
- BA or BS in journalism, communications or meteorology from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated at least 5 years of experience in a dynamic, live news production environment at a television station or broadcast network
- People management and training skills are of core importance.
- Working knowledge of non-linear editing suites (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, others)
- Subject matter expertise in newsroom content management systems like ENPS, iNews, others
- Knowledge and experience in broadcast style writing
- Working knowledge and experience with digital editorial programming tools, such as a CMS and/or OVP
- Must be a control room leader and a team player who leads by example and works well with production staff and other departments
- Understanding of basic meteorology and effective storytelling
- Working knowledge of Windows or Mac operating systems is required
- Excellent written, verbal, and time management skills are necessary; communication is essential to success
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays and overnights
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.