AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather for Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The AccuWeather Technology organization is seeking an experienced leader that will manage a team of talented software engineers who deliver and maintain the AccuWeather SDK and Toolkits. Someone who, in addition to strong management skills, acts as a leader for the technical roadmap, communicates timeline, quality, and financial risks to stakeholders, and collaborates closely with Product and Project leads as well as peers across the organization.
In addition to strong management skills, you identify areas of strategic technical debt and opportunities for improvement, align the cost/benefit analysis, and clearly communicate the risks, impacts, and recommended timelines. You guide teams, with principles founded on cloud and automation, towards best practices that allow progress to be made efficiently and sustainably.
You are an independent Manager who is comfortable managing team members with different skill sets from your own. You demonstrate leadership by supporting the growth and development of your team as a whole and individually. You will coach and develop your team to maximize strengths and develop strong, collaborative, partnerships across AccuWeather. Goal setting is integral, and you facilitate your team’s participation in defining priorities and what is important.
Remote candidates are being considered for this opportunity.
- Hire, develop, and guide staff responsible for the design, development, and delivery of AccuWeather’s Toolkits and SDKs
- Technically proficient in the software development life cycle and is viewed as a subject matter expert
- Understand how to package and distribute consumable software products (SDKs, Libraries, etc.)
- Possess an understanding and experience developing with technologies including C#, Kotlin, Swift and Node.js.
- Ensures design and delivery of software that is of high quality, HA, monitorable, and maintainable
- Promotes and encourages software maturity and documentation practices
- Champions quality, automation, continuous improvement, and agile methodologies
- Ensures skillsets are being used effectively to solve the right problems across the team
- Identifies and removes roadblocks to success
- Reports to business partners and leadership on activities, risks, and issues on key projects
- Facilitates team communications and leads discussions across the team and functional groups
- Regular management of objectives, priorities, time, risks, mitigations, and performance management of all reporting staff
- Assigns areas of ownership; ensures resources have clear priorities and adequate resources
- Works closely with Product Managers on roadmap and sprint planning activities
- Communicates status, risks to schedules, and offers mitigation strategies to ensure on-time delivery of all committed projects across the delivery lifecycle
- Defines, manages, and reports regularly on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that measure team performance against organizational objectives
- Provides critical status reporting and updates to Senior Director, Technology on all aspects of team development
- Coaches team members to progress career goals and personal development goals
- Contributes to the development of an operating plan and budget
- Responsible for coordinating team expenses within a budget or part of a larger budget
- Collaborates with external vendors in defining and developing initiatives that support AccuWeather’s business and technology needs
- Other duties as assigned
- BS/BA in related discipline with 10+ years of experience in related field - OR - MS/MA and 7+ years of experience in related field
- Deep familiarity with global, large scale, responsive, web platforms
- Experience managing teams in an Agile software delivery environment
- Experience leading or managing major projects or programs within department or functional area with significant business impact
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and inter-departmental challenges
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
- Ability to make prompt, sound decisions when faced with complex and often contradictory alternatives that result in successful outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to be self-driven adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership, along with excellent problem-solving skills
- Recognized SME in software development, design, and producing deliverables
- Experience developing software using industry standard tools and services
- Willingness and ability to create and adapt to new technologies
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.