AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather for Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Social Media Manager is someone who has a strong editorial background with solid news judgment combined with experience handling social media marketing campaigns. The successful candidate in this role will possess an in-depth understanding of all of the social media platforms (particularly Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat), be a strong headline writer, have a smart visual sense and understanding of how imagery drives engagement on social media.
We are also looking for someone who has the ability to use analytics to better understand performance and inform decision-making and has experience managing a small team. Moreover, the successful candidate will have the stamina to execute an aggressive social media strategy and a working knowledge of how to use social media as a news-gathering tool. The Social Media Manager will also have a strong instinct for how to use social media as a marketing tool and be able advice key stakeholders in sales and marketing on how to execute successful campaigns with potential sponsors.
It is preferred that the Social Media Manager will work at our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, but remote candidates will be considered.
- Manage the daily operations of AccuWeather.com’s social media team
- Work closely with AccuWeather.com journalists to understand the key weather stories of the day and formulate a daily plan for distributing that content to AccuWeather’s social media followers
- Oversee distribution of AccuWeather.com news and weather stories on Facebook and Twitter to ensure that AccuWeather maintains a 24-7 presence in the feeds of social media followers
- Write social media headlines and post AccuWeather.com news and stories on Twitter and Facebook
- Use solid news judgment to guide promotion of AccuWeather.com content
- Monitor real-time traffic in Chartbeat and use insights to guide short-term editorial decisions
- Study analytics from Sprout Social and Google Analytics and create monthly reports showing performance trends; use data to inform longer-term decision making aimed at traffic and follower growth
- Develop a holistic brand marketing social strategy and goals across all social platforms.
- Help formulate ideas for sponsored content on social media, particularly Instagram Stories and Snapchat
- Working with counterparts in sales and marketing, shepherd and oversee the final execution of sponsored content campaigns
- Collaborate with ad sales and marketing on paid social campaign strategy and pricing
- Set up and maintain paid social campaigns and report on client KPIs
- Other duties as assigned
- BA in Journalism, BS in Meteorology or related-media experience
- At least 3 years of experience in Social Media for clients/corporations through internships and work experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, other Social Networks and emerging social platforms, and social analytics tools, and familiarity with web analytics tools like Chartbeat, Google Analytics
- Proficient with Sprout Social (or a comparable social media publishing tool)
- Proficient at promoting various types of content – hard news, forecast stories, features, health, and lifestyle stories and video -- on social media
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated, team-oriented and work well under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be available to work most holidays
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.