AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather for Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Director of User Insights is responsible for being the voice of the user and leading the user research and insights function at AccuWeather. They will ensure that AccuWeather’s teams and business leaders have continuous access to user feedback and key satisfaction metrics to enable a strong understanding of the users of our products and the competitive landscape. The person in this role will serve as an insights consultant to identify insights opportunities and translate business needs into research objectives, The VP/Director manages the vendors and tools required to deliver output and authors reports and presentations focused on insights-based recommendations. Key stakeholders include Marketing, Product, Ad Sales, and Business Development.
- Lead the insights framework and effectively drive relevant consumer research and insights, (Customer segmentation, NPS, Brand Health, etc)
- Direct and run consumer, brand, media and marketing research (qual and quant) to uncover insights into who our customers are, what motivates them and how we can better develop and message our products and services.
- Identify research needs in support of business planning and product planning and share findings to influence planning.
- Develop and demonstrate the personal knowledge of products, markets, consumers, and competition required to be effective.
- Own the timely completion of assigned projects and materials and collaborate effectively with teams as required to exceed business goals and drive business initiatives.
- Be the clearing house for all competitive information in the company and actively conduct research as required to maintain current understanding of competitive products, sales tactics, target markets and market penetration, pricing, etc. Ensure information gathered is used to effectively influence product planning, sales strategy, etc.
- Collaborate with marketing and business leaders to define and update products and pricing to ensure competitiveness and profitability.
- Improve and expand the team by attracting, developing and retaining high-performing research professionals who bring diverse perspectives and excel within an inclusive environment.
- Hone the team’s storytelling abilities as they effectively interpret and share all kinds of data.
- Develop and secure approval for an annual market research plan in collaboration with marketing and business leaders to generate strategic insights.
- Assess marketing programs and contribute to continual improvements in effectiveness.
- Contribute to overall marketing brainstorming, idea generation, and strategizing about business decisions, partnerships, projects, and policies.
- Select and manage outside vendors to ensure quality and adherence to timelines and budget.
- Participate in and contribute to company long-range planning and budgeting processes to support achievement of growth and profitability objectives
- Provide periodic reports on progress towards the achievement of all program goals and the effectiveness and ROI of research/insights activities. Track and report on budget activities.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in social sciences, mathematics, business, or marketing or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- 10+ years of experience in insights, supporting product and marketing in a variety of areas: advertising measurement, user satisfaction and loyalty, brand marketing, new product development.
- Proven track record of providing strong business guidance based upon analytical research.
- Demonstrated superior attention to detail is a must, as is a hands-on personal style.
- Demonstrated comfort level in fast-moving environments with a high level of multi-tasking.
- Prior industry experience in digital media marketing and insights is highly desirable.
- Strong analytic skills with experience in statistical modeling and analysis.
- Experience with many of the following: brand health/equity trackers, pricing and Conjoint methods, user & buyer personas, audience profiling, usability testing, user acceptance testing, voice of customer trackers, consumer demand studies, and global consumer surveys.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.