AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
You are more than a top-notch WordPress developer: you are a passionate engineer with an interest in building high-end experiences and world-class digital products. You are a great communicator who loves contributing ideas and constantly strives to produce better products. Most importantly, you believe in the power of technology to move people.
This position is available at our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania. Remote candidates living in the northeastern United States, including in the cities of New York City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Hartford, as well as eastern Canada, will be considered.
- Convert UI/UX designs and mocks to functional, custom themes in WordPress
- Develop, test, and debug WordPress templates and pages for AccuWeather
- Troubleshoot issues with CSS, layouts, graphics, etc. including cross-browser compatibility and responsive design
- Maintenance and support of existing WordPress implementations and features as needed
- Review of business and technical requirements, and designs
- Collaborates with Engineering, Product, Design, and other stakeholders regularly
- Communicates effectively with business leaders, designers, engineers, and others
- Adhere to and maintain Engineering and Enterprise standards as well as Corporate brand standards
- Stay current on standards for WordPress, usability, design, coding, CSS, scripting languages, browser compatibility, and accessibility, with flexibility for learning new skills as needed
- BS/BA in related discipline with 5+ years experience in related field - OR - MS/MA and 3+ years experience in related field
- Demonstrated ability to create clean, efficient, and well documented code
- Curious how users will interact with the implementation and motivated to improve experiences
- Ability to design and develop across browsers and devices, including desktop, mobile, and tablet
- Experience with WordPress development workflows such as Sass, package managers, Git, etc.
- Experience with Gutenberg module development
- Experience with Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics
- A strong understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) principles and tactics
- Self-driven; good problem-solving skills; adaptable and proactive
- Good verbal and written communication skills; strong collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.