AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business Solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Forecasting Intern will gain invaluable knowledge and hands-on experience by working side-by-side with full-time meteorologists. This position will work at our Headquarters office in State College, Pennsylvania, for the summer of 2020.
- Writing and finalizing radio forecasts.
- Doing newspaper forecasts and text discussions.
- Drawing graphics maps and preparing graphics animations.
- Helping out with preparing forecasts for transportation and other specialized clients.
- Helping out with certain AccuWeather.com duties.
- Working alongside full-time forecasters to update forecast database.
- Work with the other summer forecasting interns to create and present a case study on an impactful weather event that occurs over the summer.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Full-time junior or senior student (not graduating in the spring of 2020), enrolled in a meteorology or atmospheric science program.
- Solid understanding of meteorology and how the weather operates.
- Currently enrolled or has previously taken a forecasting course.
- A good understanding of climatology and geography is highly preferred.
- Involvement in various campus activities that involve forecasting, such as Campus Weather Service, doing forecasts for the campus newspaper, radio, TV, and/or website, forecasting contests.
- Good people skills and the ability to communicate well.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.