AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
As the Senior Machine Learning Scientist for Forecast Innovation, you will work with a highly innovative and vibrant team to support the development of a next generation AI/ML enabled forecasting solution for AccuWeather. You will apply your analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and cloud technology knowledge to create foundations for the next generation of smart and cloud connected platform and services. With great freedom to innovate, you will play a leading role in world-class development that will drive the future of weather forecasting. You will make a difference by leading and innovating new AI based systems and services that power our business. You will team up with business stakeholders to prioritize innovation ideas and work with other data scientists to develop and deliver breakthrough solutions.
This position is based at our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for modern machine learning approaches that can push boundaries in weather forecasting.
- Engage in cloud-based development & implementation of machine learning.
- Explore, test, and implement advanced machine learning techniques for applications that leverage some of the largest datasets on the planet.
- Design and build technology that supports continuous improvements in machine learning driven forecasting systems.
- Support AccuWeather labs innovation efforts.
- Keep abreast with best practices and trends.
- M.S. or Ph.D. (preferred) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Meteorology or similar, relevant field.
- Experience working with data and systems in the cloud.
- Experience accessing scientific data sets via API.
- Experience with high volume spatial and temporal datasets.
- Deep mathematical and technical understanding of AI methodologies.
- Experience implementing AI.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Attention to details.
- Desire and interest in keeping up to date on what is and what is possible in forecasting technology.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.