AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
Reporting to the VP of Science, Innovation, & Development, the Applied Meteorology & Innovation Lead will be responsible for providing leadership and day to day tactical engagement in the development, integration and execution of AccuWeather’s broad scientific and innovation efforts. This role will be responsible for planning, managing and engaging in projects associated with AccuWeather Labs ensuring a strong science foundation and process that results in generating prototypes and proof of concepts. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of meteorology, experience applying their expertise to business applications, and an understanding of how to leverage modern technology (including AI/ML) to deliver solutions. In addition, you will coach, mentor, and guide junior scientists to help them excel and advance their career development.
This position is based at our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania.
- Serve as a key leader within AccuWeather Labs, including engagement and coordination of internal/external innovation ‘sprints’, and management of the budget and resources.
- Operate as subject matter expert in applied meteorology supporting the exploration and realization of solutions that drive AccuWeather’s next generation technologies.
- Partner with AccuWeather’s product organization through reviewing, supporting, and driving new potential product and innovation initiatives.
- Establish and manage scientific goals through implementation and improvement of a process of rapid prototyping and development in a cloud-based environment.
- Work with cross functional internal teams to bring ideas to life.
- Maintain and ensure the use of meteorological technology best practices.
- M.S. or higher in Atmospheric Science, Computer Science, or a similar, relevant field.
- Experience working with data and systems in the cloud.
- Experience applying meteorological algorithms, models, or similar technologies to support unique, weather-impacted applications.
- Competency generating high quality code for applications of scientific based solutions.
- Desire and experience working in short duration development cycles.
- Innovative mindset with a desire to work on a variety of projects.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.