AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
Want to be part of a team that is a global leader in API traffic, serving nearly 2 trillion API requests per month? We’re looking for a Lead API Engineer to help us design, build, and maintain the platform and codebase that powers AccuWeather’s global weather API’s, with the goal of delivering near real-time weather data and alerts to save lives, protect property, and help people prosper. Someone who strives for simplicity and performance yet exhibits a passion for innovation.
Who You Are In this role, you will create world class weather API’s to be used by web and mobile applications, global handset manufacturers, large and small enterprises, and consumers alike. This technical leadership position will work cross-functionally with AccuWeather’s Product Managers, key business stakeholders, and other Engineering teams, in an Agile-based environment, to rapidly deliver high-quality API’s. If you are interested in one of the largest, most widely used API’s in the world, and you enjoy technical challenges, apply today! This position is available at our offices in State College, Pennsylvania, and New York City.
- Design, implement, and support AccuWeather’s API frameworks and global API platforms
- Deep understanding of cloud infrastructures, Content Distribution Networks (CDNs), caching technologies, and scalability
- Expert understanding of Microsoft .NET, .NET Core, Web API, and C# technologies
- Designs and writes code for complex features and functionality for high-performing software
- Experience in engineering and managing large enterprise / commercial API’s to be consumed by both internal and external clients
- Experience with databases such as SQL Server, Oracle, Mongo DB, Azure Cosmos DB, Redis
- Provides technical leadership to and mentors fellow team members
- Demonstrates ability to present technical API solutions to internal and external cross-functional teams, leadership, and at conferences
- Collaborates with Product and other business units on timelines and roadmaps
- Exhibits effective organizational and technical leadership skills
- Ensure deliverables are met with high quality, including those on tight timelines
- BS/BA in related discipline with 8+ years’ experience in related field - OR - MS/MA and 5+ years’ experience in related field
- Demonstrated experience designing, developing, and supporting API solutions for consumption by high traffic, global, applications
- Demonstrated experience in software engineering and multiple object-oriented programming languages such as C#, Java, C++, Swift, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with CDN’s, edge technologies, and caching
- Displays a high level of critical thinking and analysis in bringing successful resolution to high-impact, complex, and inter-departmental challenges
- Experience in a CI / CD environment with tools such as Jenkins, SonarQube, GitHub, and others
- Experience presenting technical capabilities at conferences and/or prior teaching experience
- Self-driven; strong problem-solving skills; adaptable, proactive, and willing to take ownership
- Strong communication skills; excellent collaboration, reporting, and analytical skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.