AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, PA and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as Business Solutions (AES), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Senior Systems Engineer works with a cross-functional team of highly skilled technology professionals to support and fine-tune a robust and stable service architecture focused on high-volume and highly available web and API traffic. This requires advanced application of best practices and techniques in security, networking, and content delivery across servers, firewalls, cloud services, and custom applications. Qualified candidates will have a deep understanding of how the internet, browsers, DNS, CDNs/caching, certificates/TLS, etc work and will be able to use experience and natural inquisitiveness to diagnose and solve problems using a modern-tools and data-driven approach. This is a “DevOps”/”SRE”/”Web Performance Engineer” position, with less focus on pipeline-creation and more on the analysis. The successful candidate will have exceptional technical and interpersonal skills.
- Analyze Dev, QA, and Production issues in user-facing web and API systems to define and create tools and procedures to mitigate future problems.
- Proactively identify and initiate resolution of production service issues, often with interactions with Cloud and CDN providers/support teams.
- Work closely with Operations and Development staff to ensure high levels of security, stability, and automation, especially around deployments.
- Manage and extend existing enterprise monitoring tools such as APM, RUM, Synthetics, Postman and other emerging web & API tools.
- Working closely with security partners to identify and mitigate threats on web and API systems, such as bots, scrapers, DDOS, and other attack methods.
- Provide on-call support for critical enterprise systems.
- Mentor and guide junior NOC/SOC staff members.
- Identify and spread knowledge of new technologies that enhance production services and architecture.
- Work with technical writers to develop accurate and detailed system diagrams and documentation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS in Computer Science or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of experience and expert administration skills in Akamai or other large-scale CDN with translatable knowledge.
- 4+ years of experience with large-scale, cloud-based Infrastructure. Microsoft Azure administration experience is preferred.
- Understanding of web performance basics (TTFB, DOM Ready, PageLoad, TTI, etc) is required.
- Knowledge of the internet advertising ecosystem (Google DFP especially) is a huge plus.
- Practical knowledge of REST APIs, JSON, HTTP request protocols, query parameters, etc.
- Direct experience with web servers is required, experience with Microsoft IIS is desirable.
- Strong conceptual understanding of firewalls, load balancing, TCP/IP, the OSI model, routing & switching, DNS, SSL is required.
- Programming, scripting, and automation skills/knowledge is required. Experience with Perl, Python, Ruby, Shell, and/or Java is desirable.
- Experience with logging analytics (ELK, SumoLogic, Splunk, or similar). Experience with AI/ML to analyze data trends is a plus.
- Strong understanding of packet analysis using tcpdump, wireshark, SolarWind, or similar tools.
- Knowledge of information security best practices is preferred. Industry certifications such as CISSP or CISM are a plus.
- Direct experience with and/or knowledge of any of the following is desirable:
- Automation tools (Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc).
- Memcache, Redis, MongoDB or similar.
- Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, and other container management technologies.
- F5/BIG-IP or similar.
- SQL, MongoDB, or similar, in terms of how data from these systems are managed
- Managing and diagnosing legacy FTP traffic and issues
- This position will never install an operating system (other than possibly apportion a cloud-based VM) and might never once touch a piece of server or network hardware.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation, or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state of federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.