AccuWeather’s People are the "Heart of our Success" and we have a great opportunity in either our State College or New York City office for a talented PR professional to join our marketing team. The Public Relations Manager supports the growth of the AccuWeather brand and leverages thought leader expertise through strategic media relations and marketing communications initiatives using approved messaging in outreach to internal and external audiences, including new and traditional media. Responsibilities include written communications, editing based on input from multiple sources, outreach, media placement and cultivating and managing media relationships as well as keen organization and attention to deadlines and detail.
- Create strategic communications for news media, including preparing articles, biographies, press kits, press releases, scripts and other content initiatives as needed.
- Control the quality of messaging in all written materials to ensure best, most updated and approved language is utilized.
- Manage the flow of news about the organization to the media.
- Media monitoring and reporting.
- Gather and disseminate timely information to press and AccuWeather Team Members.
- Develop relationships with local, regional, national and trade press contacts to ensure the company reputation is promoted and to deflect criticism.
- Prepare leadership for media interviews, speaking opportunities.
- Detect public relations issues as they emerge and address them promptly.
- Maintain press materials, online sites to ensure they remain updated.
- Write and edit company literature for internal and external purposes.
- Ensure the company protects and promotes its image in a proper, coordinated and consistent manner.
- Minimum of 4 years demonstrated experience in corporate communications, public relations experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or related field.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills - Newswriting, speechwriting, and editing experience required.
- Must be able to communicate and present clearly and confidently at an executive level.
- Able to prioritize, multi-task, and work well under tight and/or shifting deadlines.
- Familiarity with media relations tools preferred (email, media list compilation, media monitoring, etc.)
- Collaborative and team-oriented and must demonstrate high degree of confidentiality and professionalism always.
AccuWeather is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, genetic information, gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran orientation or veteran status, pregnancy, disability, marital status or any other legally protected categories under local, state or federal laws. We believe a culture of diversity and inclusion provides unique perspectives that help make the workplace more innovative, engaging and profitable.