AccuWeather helps over 1.5 billion people and thousands of businesses plan their lives and protect their businesses. We’re looking for an experienced Data Scientist with a passion for finding, using, and presenting data to help drive business strategies. As a Data Scientist II you will manage, clean, validate and analyze data, as well as communicate and present findings to key stakeholders. You will have the opportunity to think critically and problem solve in order to drive, internally and externally, valuable and actionable insights. You communicate across different lines of business to optimize current products and processes, assess accuracy, and create new products.
What You'll Be Doing
- Create and deploy advanced algorithms, statistical models, and custom predictive data models to uncover key insights from AccuWeather data that can be leveraged across the company.
- Utilize spatial and geostatistical analysis, machine-learning, predictive models and ensemble modeling on big data sets to discover trends and patterns that address business needs.
- Combine multiple data sources using advanced spatial analytics techniques for optimal outputs.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques including design and documentation of quality control methods.
- Optimize joint development efforts with product and engineering teams through appropriate database use and project design.
- Develop and deploy innovative and proprietary algorithms and data that can be monetized.
- Develop and implement company A/B testing framework, model quality testing, and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
- Work with key stakeholders to identify opportunities to leverage valuable data for business challenges such as optimizing customer experiences and revenue generation.
- Collaborate and work closely with cross-functional teams and business partners to identify gaps, structure problems, develop and deploy solutions, and monitor outcomes.
- Keep up-to-date with latest technology trends, research and develop statistical learnings models, and implement new statistical and mathematical methodologies as needed.
- Collect, access, transform, and analyze structured and unstructured data including writing and interpreting complex SQL queries for data extraction, analysis, and reporting.
- Organize and visualize data for reporting purposes via online dashboard like PowerBI, Qlik, etc.
- Build and deploy workflows to represent data on static and interactive maps.
- Automate analysis and create tools to assist meteorologists with forecasting.
- Synthesize methodology, data, and scientific results into actionable business strategy, communicate findings to product, sales, marketing, management, and prospective clients.
- Effectively communicate findings through proper data visualization techniques and presentations that tell a “story” focused on insights, not just data.
- Participate as a presenter and create content for webinars and conferences.
- Strategize, create, and organize content centered around marketing campaigns for release of new analytical findings and insights around consumer behavior.
- Work with vendors and partners to produce data products that can be monetized.
Experience We Are Looking For
- MS, MA, MBA, or PhD with a focus on research and quantitative analysis or commensurate job experience.
- Experience performing analysis independently.
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking, and independent learning skills, with an emphasis on product development, collaboration, and teamwork.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for presenting findings in non-technical terms.
- Experience with multiple cloud platforms including Azure, AWS, and Google.
- Experience with data architectures and applicable languages (Python, SLQ, etc.)
- Ability to clean, transform, and analyze data using statistical software languages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R) as reproducible code.
- Experience using geospatial software (ArcMap, ArcGIS, ENVI, HydroCAD, etc.)
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Expertise in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Decision Trees, Neural Networks, Simulation, Clustering, Text Mining, Network Analysis, etc.
- Experience visualizing data and creating dashboards (Power BI, Qlik, Tableau, etc.)
- Experience using Machine Learning, Azure Machine Learning preferred.
- Experience with 3rd party providers: Google Analytics, Adwords, Facebook Insights, etc. a plus
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Azure, Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, MySQL, etc. preferred.
- Experience using web services: Redshift, S3, Spark, etc. a plus.
- Domain knowledge in one or more areas other than statistics, mathematics, and computer science. Examples include meteorology, retail, supply chain, marketing, advertising, operations, social science, business management, digital media, and graphic design. Meteorology preferred.
AccuWeather is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer