In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a nationwide team of 260+ finance and technology professionals, serving the world’s leading private equity firms from nine offices and remote locations across the U.S. (Accordion’s headquarters are in New York, with offices in Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and South Florida.)
Working at the intersection of sponsors and management teams, Accordion partners with clients at every stage of the investment lifecycle to elevate the finance function. Our services span the Office of the CFO – providing hands-on, results-oriented execution and technology-enablement.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and entrepreneurial environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together. Join us!
Financial Accounting & Advisory Services
With the increase in complexity of the business environment and transactions, CFOs of private equity-backed companies are increasingly being asked to drive strategic insights for their business. Finance organizations are no longer simply result reporters, but rather, they couple these results with forward-looking data to provide strategic insights which are leveraged to make business decisions. Efficiency of process and meaningful control environments allows for speed of financial reporting with increasingly accurate measures, leaving more time for the finance team to add future enterprise value, rather than look backwards.
Accordion’s FAAS Practice is comprised of a dedicated team that provides accounting and financial advice to support PE-backed portfolio companies on a wide range of transactions and events, including Accounting Policies & Procedures, ERP/Financial System Execution, Financial Statement Close Process, Process & Controls Implementation, Technical Accounting, Finance/Accounting Assessment & Design and Finance & Accounting Organization Standup resulting from a Carve-Out or Merger transaction. We are doers and problem solvers – making sense of complexity and bolstering sponsors’ value creation theses.
We are Headquartered in New York, however, this role can be based in any of our current locations.
What You’ll Do
As part of a lean, cross-functional team, the Associate will play a vital role in identifying and rectifying issues across a broad range of scenarios. The following representative engagements are emblematic of the type of work you’ll do as an Associate at Accordion:
- A rapidly growing company with a global footprint routinely takes 45 days to close its books and produce financial statements. You are brought in to:
- Perform deep-dives and gain an understanding of current state processes, people, and systems (both on paper and in reality).
- Identify root causes and provide recommendations on how to improve broken processes, bridge control gaps, and better align roles and responsibilities with best practices.
- Implement tools and creative solutions that the accounting function can use to streamline their close process (e.g. introduce materiality limits, close checklists, and calendars).
- In order to keep pace with its competitors, a technology company is looking to move away from a traditional subscription-based model to a SaaS model, and requires guidance in dealing with the key finance and accounting implications which will ensue. You are part of a team that will:
- Address changes in revenue recognition requirements and draft accounting policies that affirm the new normal.
- Challenge existing assumptions in underlying revenue forecasts and associated cost-drivers.
- Evolve the invoicing process to reflect new business processes.
- Following the acquisition of three similar, stand-alone businesses, a PE Sponsor has identified the need to consolidate operations in order to realize the synergies identified in their investment thesis. Get ready to:
- Design a singular finance function that can serve all three businesses; you’ll put together intuitive processes and controls and realign roles and responsibilities to suit the strengths of the individuals.
- Draft a unified set of policies and procedures that speak to all three businesses and encourages them to operate with consistency.
- Select, implement, and champion a robust ERP solution which meets the needs of the combined business.
- Consolidate their existing financial reporting from disparate systems, including adjusting for deviations in accounting policies and procedures, to produce a single source of numerical truth.
Ideally, You Have:
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in financial accounting or operations at a top-tier public accounting or financial advisory firm, and/or private company
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field. CPA is a plus
- A strong and up-to date knowledge of US GAAP (exposure to IFRS is a plus), with deep technical understanding of topics such as ASC 606 revenue recognition, lease transactions, purchase accounting, etc.
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Strong client service mindset
Ideally, You Are:
- Excited to be part of a growing team
- Passionate about delivering exceptional client service
- Experienced in advising clients on financial accounting issues
- Knowledgeable of complex financial accounting and operations issues
- Excessively detailed oriented with an eye for quality
- Experienced managing projects with tight deadlines
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Comfortable in a fluid, flat organization
- Able to effectively communicate complex issues and solutions, and raise issues to senior team members when necessary
- Able to work independently and as part of a team as needed