In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a bi-coastal team of 100+ finance and technology professionals, serving nearly 200 of the world’s leading private equity firms out of offices in New York, San Francisco, and Boston.
Our mission is to shape a new era in the private equity industry. Focusing exclusively on the office of the CFO of PE-backed companies, we’re committed to driving value creation through financial consulting services and portfolio operations technology.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and collaborative environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together.
What does PI mean at Accordion?
Building value for our clients in their portfolio of companies is our goal. How we reach that goal requires hands-on involvement with the company leadership to craft solutions to difficult business challenges facing their company. Using our deep skill set in uncovering the opportunities and levers available for value growth matched with the willingness to provide needed leadership, Accordion helps all stakeholders achieve a better outcome. Our wide tool kit of skills to build value includes liquidity forecasting, margin improvement initiatives, EBITDA enhancement actions and working capital improvement actions. Used properly these tools can significantly improve cash generation and earnings for a company, resulting in a higher valuation and multiple.
Typical Example of our Work
When a business finds itself under liquidity constraints along with a lack of clarity on how to change the existing business trends, Accordion can help. After we establish a liquidity plan based on the true performance of the business, we and the senior management team build a set of specific key initiatives, recognizing the existing constraints, to quickly address the needed change. We then help to implement those same initiatives to quickly change performance trajectory. We ensure that those improvements stay with the management team after we leave to help them accelerate performance into the future.
- Focusing on the Office of the CFO of private equity portfolio companies, you will work as part of a lean team, to find and release trapped value utilizing:
- Liquidity Forecasting
- Margin Growth Initiatives & Implementation
- Structural EBITDA Enhancement
- Working Capital Improvement
- Cost Optimization
- Inventory Acceleration
- Liquidity Enhancement
- Operation Utilization Improvement
- SKU Rationalization
- Zero Based Budgeting
- Develop financial and business due diligence to assist with various investment and growth decisions
- Develop 3-statement financial and 13-week cash flow models
- Prepare complex cash flow projections to model business processes under multiple scenarios
- A+ Execution:
- Provide high-quality consulting services by taking personal ownership for delivering on client engagements that are fact-driven, solution oriented and meet Accordion’s A+ Execution standard for quality
- Bachelor’s degree. MBA appreciated.
- 6+ years’combined private equity/consulting/operating experience
- Mid-level experience across one or more of; Finance, Transformation, Operations, Strategy functions
- Deep “hands-on” restructuring advisory and/or distressed debt portfolio expertise, coupled with strong financial and analytical skills
- Extensive experience in developing 3-statement financial and 13-week cash flow models
- Ability to assist clients and engagement teams through challenging in-or-out of court turnaround and restructuring situations and willingness to undertake extensive travel
- Experience working with private equity portfolio companies and their sponsors
- Ability to effectively communicate via phone or email with various stakeholders including C level executives as well as junior team members
- Ability to drive above-and-beyond solutions that bring creativity and thought leadership surpassing client expectations
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and team-management skills coupled with a willingness to mentor junior team members
- High integrity, ability to work independently and self-motivated