Accela is the industry pioneer in government licensing, permitting, service request, and inspection solutions, with more than 20 years of experience. We offer cloud based Civic Applications and a robust, scalable solutions platform informed by industry best practices. In short, Accela helps governments innovate, so they can improve the business and citizen experience, promoting community development and creating an environment where citizens and businesses thrive.
At Accela, employees enjoy a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
About this role:
This position is responsible for ensuring the integrity of global revenue accounting and order-to-cash operations by providing operational leadership, accounting and process expertise, and business acumen.
As the Director of Revenue, you will own all aspects of revenue accounting, provide information and advice to Sales management in deal/contract negotiations, and support FP&A and senior management with analysis on revenue performance. Additionally, you will lead the revenue team, ensuring adequate controls, processes, and systems to deliver accurate and timely results that are in compliance with GAAP in all respects, including ASC 606.
The ideal candidate will be a CPA with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance, and have (a) in-depth knowledge of accounting operations, (b) significant experience in software businesses, and (c) experience in managing teams in a high growth environment. A willingness to question the status quo and drive process improvements will be welcomed with open arms.
The candidate must have strong organization and executive communication skills, be detail oriented and possess a willingness to be hands-on when required. A positive attitude and willingness to help others is key.
Impact you will make in the role (Responsibilities):
- Work collaboratively and strategically with Legal, Sales Operations, Customer Operations, and FP&A to drive best practices in revenue optimization
- Review sales contracts to ensure revenue is recognized in accordance with US GAAP and internal policies
- Assist in the creation of, implementation of, and compliance with revenue recognition policies and procedures
- Lead system and process improvement initiatives to streamline revenue tasks and shorten the overall close cycle
- Assisting in the implementation of and compliance with internal controls surrounding revenue recognition
- Review and verify the accuracy of journal entries, revenue accruals and account reconciliations
- Proactively reviewing sales contracts and purchase orders for potential revenue recognition issues
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams on non-standard customer contract negotiations and revenue recognition assessments
- Research and prepare written technical accounting policies and position papers on an as-needed basis for non-standard revenue transactions
- Lead and develop revenue accounting personnel to ensure high performance of the function
- Oversee preparation of monthly management reports, revenue analysis and reconciliations
- Support monthly revenue forecast and annual operating plan
- Assist with financial statement preparation and disclosure associated with revenue
- Monitor relevant US GAAP and SEC developments to ensure compliance with the company’s
- revenue recognition policies and procedures.
- Work with the external audit firm on revenue recognition matters for quarterly reviews and annual audits
- Other ad-hoc projects as required.
Expertise you will bring in (Skills and Qualifications):
- 10+ years of experience in Revenue Accounting and Reporting within software businesses, preferably with multiple business models such as SaaS, perpetual licenses, and services
- BS in Finance or Accounting
- CPA required, Big 4 experience strongly preferred
- In-depth knowledge and experience with ASC 606 and the complexities of multiple-element arrangements.
- Experienced in leading a team and driving change
- Ability to identify revenue accounting issues and risks, and to develop, recommend and resolve solutions
- Strong analytical skills
- Experienced in ongoing system and process improvements
- Ability to work effectively and partner with various departments
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, work under time constraints and deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high growth environment
- Must be meticulous, detail oriented and organized
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, collaboration and influencing skills
- Highly proficient in advanced MS Excel including Pivot Tables and V-Lookups
- NetSuite or large ERP experience a plus
Accela is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work – we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 12 paid holidays and a competitive paid time off policy
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.