Accela is the industry pioneer in government licensing, permitting, service request, and inspection solutions, with more than 20 years of experience. We offer cloud based Civic Applications, and a robust, scalable solutions platform informed by industry best practices. In short, Accela helps governments innovate, so they can improve the business and citizen experience, promoting community development and creating an environment where citizens and businesses thrive.
At Accela employees enjoy a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
In this role, you’ll get to:
The Vice President of Engineering will collaborate with their team to deliver on architectural, process, and roadmap goals for Accela products. Accela is transforming the way government serves its citizens and is looking for an engineering lead with experience transforming technologies and processes to match.
Accela products span a variety of technologies, allowing for a diverse range of capabilities and an exciting spectrum of engineering opportunities. We’re looking for a technical leader who can bring their experience delivering high quality platform-driven enterprise SaaS applications. The ideal candidate should have experience in scaling a global engineering organization, with a passion for the agility and evolution typically seen in startups. We are looking for a leader who is motivated by empowering and developing his/her teams, while diving deep into architectural discussions and roadmap planning. This person is a driver of innovation, accountability, and transparency and critical to driving business outcomes through technology.
- Provide thought leadership guiding the definition, implementation, and continuous improvement of our software development practices.
- Define, plan, launch, and drive strategic and transformational process improvement initiatives. Promote test-driven development, SOA, devops, and CI/CD processes to increase automation and quality.
- Hire, develop, and coach the team, including managers and individual contributors. You will spend much of your time leading team leads, but will need to know when to dive deep into a particular team to help them with technology direction or process improvement.
- Collaborate with peers and architects to continuously evolve our technology roadmap. Partner with Product Management to blend those needs with the feature roadmap.
- Lead technology planning activities to forecast operational costs and investment levels required to deliver against the product strategy. Create architectural modernization business cases and develop strategic recommendations for senior executives.
- Collaborate with Product Management and other departments to analyze business requirements and develop technical design and execution strategies.
- Manage roadmap and release estimation efforts across teams; participate in planning exercises with peers to land on viable plans, both near term and longer term.
- Focus teams on the intersection of infrastructure and software to provide customers with a high quality, performant, stable service.
- Create and maintain KPIs and dashboards demonstrating areas of progress and areas of need.
We are looking for people who:
- 15+ years of experience developing complex enterprise SaaS solutions. Experience leading development efforts for highly configurable workflow automation/case management applications is preferred.
- 7 or more years leading the application development function in a “leader of leaders” role.
- Outcome orientation, with previous experience driving KPIs and metrics to deliver desired team results.
- Experience working in a geographically-distributed agile development environment required, including understanding of typical scrum ceremonies and artifacts. Ability to balance agile practices with the need to communicate longer term roadmap and investment needs. Demonstrable track record of bringing products to market on time.
- Expertise in coaching teams to deliver secure, performant, stable, scalable enterprise SaaS applications.
- Comfort working among various technologies needed, and expertise in java, Angular.js, HTML5, SQL Server, Kafka, desired. Experience with Azure tools preferred.
- Expertise in scaling agile practices and implementing processes and tools to monitor progress toward on time delivery. Able to develop customer-focus, ownership, and autonomy competencies within scrum teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or an engineering discipline required.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Accela is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work, we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 11 paid holidays and a competitive and flexible paid time off policy
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.