Who is Accela:
Accela is the industry pioneer in government licensing, permitting, service request, and inspection solutions, with more than 20 years of experience. We offer cloud based Civic Applications, and a robust, scalable solutions platform informed by industry best practices. In short, Accela helps governments innovate, so they can improve the business and citizen experience, promoting community development and creating an environment where citizens and businesses thrive.
At Accela employees enjoy a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
Where you fit:
Reporting to the Chief Legal Officer and based in our San Ramon Headquarters, Accela is looking for a dynamic hands-on leader to help drive the company’s tremendous growth and revenue operations. This role is a highly visible business partner to the sales and services organizations. If you want to join a growing legal team and enjoy making an impact on the success of your company, then we would like to talk with you.
A successful candidate will have solid experience with software licensing, SaaS and partnership agreements, is results driven, and embraces the challenges of scaling a global business. In addition to the commercial aspects, this role will work alongside various departments, offering legal advice and expertise as needed. These areas include, but are not limited to, mergers & acquisitions, corporate policy adoption, and dispute resolution. Additionally, this role will have the option to identify at least one other area of legal operations where the candidate can develop a new or deeper level of expertise.
- Effectively engage with the Sales & Services organizations to accelerate all aspects of the revenue operations and building shareholder value by defining, implementing best practices in Accela’s contracting processes.
- Partnering with Sales & Services to quickly drive deals to closure for our government customers with the highest level of standards and transparency.
- Coordinate with outside counsel and other members of the legal team ensure compliance with local laws and regulations.
- Drafting and negotiating software license, maintenance, and services agreements, SaaS Agreements, RFP responses, and other legal documents as required.
- Assist in the development of legal and sales enablement tools (playbooks, trainings, etc.), contractual templates, and materials to bring best-in-class practices to the company.
- Engage in company ad hoc projects as needed, including M&A, compliance, corporate, human resources and others.
- With the support of the team, develop an area of interest outside of commercial that will have impact on Accela as it grows.
- Must be self-driven, collaborative, business focused, and able to maintain a sense of humor during the busiest times.
- Must be able to demonstrate a ‘team first’ approach, invested in the success in the company, and dedicated to creating an inclusive environment.
- Expertise in negotiating win-win deals with experience in contracting with government entities.
- Solid knowledge of software licensing, subscription (“SaaS”) and services agreements.
- Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited U.S. Law School.
- Member of California Bar (or eligible for CA Registered In-House Counsel).
- 6+ years of legal experience with an emphasis on commercial matters, with 4+ years in-house at a technology company supporting the sales function.
- Ability to triage situations quickly, think creatively and drive transactions to a close.
- Must be able to build relationships throughout a company, especially in Sales, Services, and Finance.
- Familiarity with software revenue recognition rules.
- Experience with enterprise software contracts and professional services engagements.
- Additional experience with privacy or government relations compliance.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work, we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 11 paid holidays and a competitive and flexible paid time off policy
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
Accela is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.