Accela is the industry pioneer in government licensing, permitting, service request, and inspection solutions, with more than 20 years of experience. We offer cloud based Civic Applications and a robust, scalable solutions platform informed by industry best practices. In short, Accela helps governments innovate, so they can improve the business and citizen experience, promoting community development and creating an environment where citizens and businesses thrive.
At Accela, employees enjoy a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
Where you fit:
This is an outstanding opportunity for a Revenue Manager to work in a U.S. based Global Private Company with an exciting future. We offer a chance to join an energetic and creative management team who has a passion for their work and a vision for the future. The Revenue Manager will establish proactive working relationships with cross-functional organizations, liaising with Sales, Proposals, Sales Order Planning, Legal, Operations, Corporate Finance, and Corporate Accounting on an ongoing basis. Will participate in the negotiation of customer contracts, review of those contracts for revenue recognition considerations, and will track unbilled A/R, revenue, cost of sales and deferred revenue. This position is responsible for accurate recording of revenue and deferred revenue transactions in compliance with software, PCS, professional services, and multi-element ASC 606 revenue recognition accounting guidance. Manages software license, maintenance, SaaS, hosting, and professional services in connection with revenue, cost of sales, unbilled A/R and deferred revenue in both the NetSuite General Ledger and OpenAir Project Accounting Module in accordance with US GAAP policies and procedures. Designs operational procedures and processes that meet audit standards, improve efficiency and ensure accurate reporting of accounting data. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure efficient and effective operation of the function. This position reports to the Director of Revenue.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish, modify, and maintain appropriate company revenue recognition policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure revenue and cost of sales are properly recorded and reported in accordance with ASC 606.
- Proactively interact with Sales, Sales Operations, Deal Desk, Product and Legal personnel on professional services, deal structuring, deal approvals, go-to Market strategies, and contract negotiations. Assist to create good business deals while remaining a steward of good revenue recognition policies.
- Ensure that software license, maintenance, SaaS, hosting, and professional services revenue, unbilled A/R and deferred revenue are being closed timely and reconciled accurately to the NetSuite General Ledger for US, Australia, and Middle East. Review of journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, revenue and cost of sales reconciliations for the US, Australia, and Middle East entities in accordance with Monthly Close Calendar.
- Work closely with business partners to streamline processes and improve efficiency utilizing Salesforce.com, NetSuite, OpenAir, etc. Maintain continuous improvement mindset for process efficiency, then partner with IT and others to facilitate those changes.
- Prepare authoritative revenue memoranda, Revenue Checklists, and other schedules required to substantiate the company’s position for revenue recognition in accordance with ASC 606. The goal is to have the Revenue Manager be the company’s software revenue recognition expert, and “center of excellence” for software agreements.
- Maintain and Monitor Monthly, Quarterly, Annual Bookings, and cross correlate to Revenue Checklists.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual analytics of changes in revenue and cost of sales and variances from annual budget/quarterly forecasts
- Perform SSP Studies.
- Maintain an eye on controls for implementing SOX in the future.
- Help to mentor and train software and professional services personnel regarding revenue recognition policies.
- Prepare and submit PBC’s in connection with the annual audit. Help to manage aspects of the annual audit with external auditors.
- Perform special projects as requested by Director of Revenue or Controller.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance required, emphasis in accounting highly preferred.
- Big 4 experience and/or public/private company experience in a software and SaaS technology company and is highly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a public accounting firm or corporate financial supervisory role required, 8+ years’ preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with software and SaaS revenue recognition, 5+ years preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
- Excellent communication, team player, supervisory, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently to identify problems early and propose resolutions.
- Ability to adapt to the rapid business and organizational changes that accompany a high-growth environment.
- Strong accountability, detail oriented, prepares accurate and timely work product.
- Sophisticated understanding of revenue recognition accounting pronouncements including ASC 606, ASC 985-605, ASC 605-35, and ASC 605-25, with preference to candidates who have extensive practical experience in implementing these accounting rules.
- Experience with NetSuite and OpenAir, NetSuite ARM Module, and Salesforce.com is preferred.
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Willingness to take on additional projects and responsibilities as needed.
- Strong general accounting skills and passion for accounting.
- Integrity and self-confidence.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Accela is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work; we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 11 paid holidays and a competitive paid time off policy
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.