Who is Accela:
Accela is an industry-leading cloud/web/mobile based software company that was recently honored with the ‘Great Place to Work’ certification and is one of the leading GovTech 100 companies.
For more than 15 years, Accela has been the industry leader in designing and delivering productivity and engagement software solutions to help government agencies to be their best. Accela provides a cloud-based SaaS platform suite of products that help local/State/Federal government and Civic agencies serve local communities more efficiently and effectively.
Accela’s software drives efficiency for over 2,200 governments and is accessible to more than 160 million citizens worldwide. More than 80% of America’s 50 largest cities such as New York, San Diego, San Francisco, Miami, and Denver have implemented at least one of Accela’s many solutions.
Accela offers employees a culture that emphasizes performance, productivity and collaboration. You can’t help but feel empowered, engaged and motivated when you work with like-minded individuals who are driven and passionate about contributing to a market-leading, high-growth software organization with proven technology.
While we are busy changing the world, we also strongly believe in having fun and excitement at work, and encourage a collaborative and healthy work-life balance.
If you are motivated by the idea of delivering on the promise of democracy in the digital age and solving for a new era of more efficient, open and innovative governance, then we’d love to hear from you.
Where you fit:
This is an outstanding opportunity for a Revenue Manager to work in a U.S. Global Private Company with an exciting future. We offer a chance to join an energetic and creative management team who has a passion for their work and a vision for the future. This position is an integral part of the Software Operations Group within Accela, Inc. with responsibility for software revenue recognition/revenue accounting/ revenue accounting processes. The Revenue Manager will establish proactive working relationships with cross-functional organizations, liaising with Sales, Proposals, Sales Order Planning, Legal, Operations, and Corporate Finance and Accounting on an ongoing basis. Will participate in the negotiation of customer contracts, review of those contracts for revenue recognition issues, and will track unbilled A/R, revenue, cost of sales and deferred revenue. This position is responsible for accurate recording of revenue and deferred revenue transactions in compliance with current software, PCS, professional services, and multi-element revenue recognition accounting guidance. Manages software license, maintenance, and professional services in connection with revenue, cost of sales, unbilled A/R and deferred revenue in both the NetSuite General Ledger and OpenAir Project Accounting Module in accordance with US GAAP policies and procedures. Designs operational procedures and processes that meet audit standards, improve efficiency and ensure accurate reporting of accounting data. Participates in annual audit with external auditors and special projects. Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure efficient and effective operation of the function. This position reports to the Director of Revenue.
Impact you will make in the role:
- Establish, modify, and maintain appropriate company revenue recognition policies, procedures, and internal controls to ensure revenue and cost of sales are properly recorded and reported in accordance with US GAAP.
- Ability to identify and articulate complex revenue accounting issues clearly and concisely and prepare revenue recognition positions for internal and external review.
- Proactively support and review customer contracts, amendments, SOW’s in connection with Product Marketing, Sales, and Legal personnel in contract design and negotiations to create good business deals and to avoid unforeseen revenue recognition issues.
- Ensure that software license, maintenance, and professional services revenue, unbilled A/R and deferred revenue are being closed timely and reconciled accurately to the NetSuite General Ledger for US, Australia, and Middle East. Review all balance sheets, balance sheet reconciliations, revenue and cost of sales reconciliations for the US, Australia, and Middle East in accordance with Close Calendar.
- Responsible for monthly Accela, Inc. professional services revenue, revenue control sheet, % complete revenue accounting, and Unbilled A/R and Deferred Revenue balance sheet reconciliations.
- Record monthly accounting journal entries in a timely, accurate and consistent basis and participate in monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes.
- Maintain revenue reports and accounting records on a timely, accurate, and consistent basis in accordance with US GAAP, company policy and Close Calendar.
- Software Intercompany Invoicing for Australia and Middle East.
- Work closely with business partners to streamline processes and improve efficiency utilizing Salesforce.com, NetSuite, OpenAir, etc. Maintain continuous mindset for process efficiency and partner with IT to facilitate those improvements.
- Prepare and submit PBC’s in connection with the annual audit. Manage the annual audit with external auditors.
- Prepare authoritative revenue memoranda, 606 Revenue Checklists, and other audit schedules required to substantiate the company’s position for revenue recognition in accordance with US GAAP. The goal is to have the Revenue Manager be the company’s software revenue recognition expert, and “center of excellence” for software agreements.
- Work closely and coordinate with members within Revenue Team to ensure processes are consistent, and multiple element arrangements are recognized accurately.
- Maintain an eye on controls for implementing SOX in the future.
- Identify and strategize the implementation of process improvements in current and future revenue accounting systems.
- Educate and train software and professional services personnel as requested regarding revenue recognition policies and issues.
- Monthly Bookings, Backlog and Backlog Rollout for Software License, Maintenance, Professional Services, etc.
- Perform SSP Studies.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly analytics of changes in revenue and cost of sales and variances from annual budget/quarterly forecasts
- Perform special projects as requested by Controller and Director of Revenue.
Expertise you will bring in:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance required, emphasis in accounting highly preferred.
- Big 4 experience and/or public/private company experience in a software and SAAS technology company and is highly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a public accounting firm or corporate financial supervisory role required, 8+ years preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in software and SAAS revenue recognition role, 5+ years preferred.
- CPA required
- Excellent communication, team player, supervisory, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently to identify problems early and propose resolutions.
- Ability to adapt to the rapid business and organizational changes that accompany a high-growth environment.
- Strong accountability, detail oriented, prepares accurate and timely work product.
- Sophisticated understanding of revenue recognition accounting pronouncements including ASC 606, ASC 985-605, ASC 605-35, and ASC 605-25, with preference to candidates who have extensive practical experience in implementing these accounting rules.
- Experience with NetSuite and OpenAir, NetSuite ARM Module, Salesforce.com, and Oracle and Oracle Projects Module preferred.
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Willingness to take on additional projects and responsibilities as needed.
- Strong general accounting skills and passion for accounting.
- Integrity and self-confidence.
Benefits and Perks:
Beyond a stellar work environment, great people and inspiring, innovative work, we have some great benefits and perks:
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) with company match
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for you and your family, along with other wellness and disability plans
- 11 paid holidays and a competitive and flexible paid time off policy
- Catered lunches, fully stocked kitchens, walking trails and nearby access to restaurants, food trucks and farmer’s markets in some of our locations
Accela is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.