For the safety of our employees and communities in response to COVID-19, ACADIA has implemented a temporary work from home policy. As a part of this shift, we have migrated all interviews to virtual interviewing via phone and video.
Responsible for semi-monthly payroll processing for a growing, multi-state organization including new hires, terminations, bonuses, leaves of absence (LOA), relocations, direct deposits, wage garnishments, vacation/sick accruals, tax changes, healthcare premium deductions, flexible spending account deductions, ESPP deductions, and 401(k) deductions. Works closely with the Payroll Manager to manage third party payroll related vendors, ensures compliance in all areas of payroll and works directly with employees to resolve outstanding payroll inquires.
- Prepares and coordinates all facets of semi-monthly payroll processing in multiple states.
- Interprets company pay policies, e.g., vacation, LOA, disability, workers comp, government regulations, withholding exemptions and ensures appropriate deductions are calculated and applied in a multi-state payroll environment.
- Acts as a point-of-contact for employees with payroll-related concerns and/or questions.
- Proactively identifies and resolves payroll discrepancies and determines most appropriate method of communication to employees.
- Works closely with the Payroll Manager to critically review and analyze current payroll policies, including payroll tax implications, to recommend and implement changes leading to best-practice operations.
- Ensures that payroll operations are conducted in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley internal controls.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality at all times related to compensation information.
- Works closely with the Payroll Manager to manage 3rd party payroll-related vendor relationships, including payroll software, 401k, and relocation firm.
- Prepares and maintains payroll records and reports, including standard and ad hoc reports to ensure data integrity, accuracy and timeliness as required by Finance, HR, and Equity Stock Administration.
- Reviews and reconciles quarterly and annual, federal and state, payroll tax returns.
- Reviews and distributes annual W-2s.
- Prepares returns for multiple states.
- Prepares semi-monthly 401(k) transmittals for employee deferrals and company match.
- Provides documentation for payroll, 401k, and benefit audits; prepares annual 401k 5500 non-discrimination testing.
- Assists in implementing, writing, and maintaining standard operating procedures for Payroll.
- Maintains payroll files and records in accordance with company and regulatory requirements.
- Assists in the preparation of audit materials.
- Assists Payroll Manager in yearend closing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Human Resources or other related field. An equivalent combination of relevant education and applicable job experience may be considered. Minimum of 5 years of relevant progressive experience in payroll processing with a focus on commercial biotech organizations with multi-state operations. Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) is preferred.
- Strong understanding of Federal and multi-state wage and hour regulations and payroll tax filing procedures.
- Payroll subject matter expertise to advise the company, including knowledge of best practices regarding reimbursement of relocation expenses, taxable fringe benefits and auto allowances.
- Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance experience.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong ADP experience, additional experienced with Workday and Equity Edge a plus.
- Highly detail oriented, self-disciplined, and ability to work independently with limited direction to resolve discrepancies and issues.
- Clear written and verbal communication skills to ensure understanding of specific payroll matters.
- Effective interpersonal skills to resolve confidential and often sensitive issues related to compensation with employees.
- Strong and positive work ethic for a growing team environment.
Receives assignments in the form of objectives. Follows processes and operational policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions; determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals. Works on issues of diverse scope which require evaluation of a variety of factors ad an understanding of functional area objectives and trends. Erroneous decisions or failure to achieve results may add to costs and impact the short-term goals of the organization
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, see, talk or hear in a standard office environment. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
ACADIA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veterans/Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity