Responsible for building and executing a comprehensive, proactive federal government affairs strategy that advances the Company’s mission and goals with local, regional, state, and federal elected officials. Coordinate and represent the appropriate promotion of the strategic advocacy or policy objectives before the US Congress, Federal agencies, policy makers and with other stakeholders, including trade associations and industry allies. Broaden ACADIA’s Washington presence and build support for the company's mission and interests. Lead and manage ACADIA’s government affairs consultancy relationships, work closely with business leaders on relevant issues, and consistently partner with public affairs, medical affairs, investor relations and commercial strategy teams.
- Works collaboratively with Sales, Marketing, Medical, Corporate Affairs, Compliance, Legal and Finance to ensure alignment, and establish fully-integrated and strategic government affairs plan and priorities in coordination with public affairs and company objectives.
- Monitors federal legislation and policy activities, updating and advising on relevant policy proposals and actions, and working with executive staff to analyze potential impacts on the Company.
- Prioritize key issues and allocate resources appropriately, showing judgement in context to bias to act vs. engaged monitoring.
- Establish a positive, credible and influential presence with key trade associations, as well as national public policy and legislative groups and other relevant stakeholder organizations. Builds support for ACADIA’s advocacy agenda with Federal policy makers and regulators.
- Coordinates with external partners and trade organizations (BIO and CLSA) to manage state government affairs priorities and issues.
- Contributes to the development of strategic plans with the advocacy and industry relations team to ensure company business objectives are appropriately represented with national patient advocacy and medical societies.
- Updates the organization on policy developments. Drafts presentations, policy papers, speeches and briefing documents for senior executives and other internal stakeholders.
- Ensures department's adherence to company policies and quality system requirements, as well as other legal and regulatory directives.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree preferred. 15+ years of experience in federal government affairs for a health care corporation or trade association, on Congressional staff, or in a relevant federal agency. Lobbying and health care policy background (Hill, federal agency, or with corporate/trade association’s federal government affairs office). Proven ability to plan and execute a comprehensive, proactive federal government affairs strategy that advances the Company’s mission and goals with local, regional, state, and federal elected officials.
- Hands-on, entrepreneurial professional with a demonstrated ability to "see around corners" and anticipate both opportunities and challenges in the current U.S. health care environment, including Medicare/Medicaid programs
- Exhibits a proactive mindset by anticipating and positioning ACADIA to respond to changing legislative/regulatory challenges and capitalizing on potential opportunities while responding to ongoing threats and challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders in corporate headquarters, trade associations, and other parties as required.
- Working knowledge of general U.S. government affairs compliance, including lobbying disclosure and LD-203 requirements and supportive processes.
- Demonstrated ability and success developing and executing strategy through expert understanding of the market and industry.
- Strong executive presence, communication and influencing skills.
- Skilled writer and communicator that can vary levels of messaging based on audience.
- Results-oriented, self-starter with demonstrated ability to distill complex issues into concise talking points, position papers, and slides; attention to detail; ability to multi-task; team player, with an ability to work independently in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities and proficient planning and negotiation skills.
- Ability to travel approximately 30% of the time domestically. Frequent travel o San Diego, CA required.
Recognized as an influential leader, provides strategy and direction for major functional area(s). Directs and controls activities through skilled directors and/or managers who have overall responsibility for the direction of assigned areas. With exceptional leadership skills, effectively mentors, motivates and empowers team members. Works with abstract ideas or situations that may affect other functional areas of the business and where analysis of situations or data requires collaboration and an understanding of the impact on other functional areas, business strategies, and the company’s overall goals. Erroneous decisions will have a serious impact on the overall success of the functional area(s) and the long-term success of the Company.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, see, talk or hear in a standard office environment and independently from remote locations. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Ability to travel by car or airplane independently overnight up to 30% of the time and work after hours if required by travel schedule or business issues.
ACADIA is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veterans/Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity