Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate. Our company’s mission is to dramatically improve the productivity, transparency, and impact of Design. Since launching in July 2017, over 7,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from DocuSign, Instacart, Microsoft, Pandora, Wayfair, Wix, Cisco, Zendesk, and more.
At Abstract, we believe in a future where all companies recognize that empowering people to be creative unlocks productivity. We seek to build a world where companies see their people's expertise, where systems default to collaboration, and where curiosity and experimentation flourish.
We strive to be living examples of our values and first principles. We do hard things, make our own weather, and question the status quo. When we ship, we ship together. We value grit, inclusion, craft, curiosity, and iteration, just to name a few. And we embrace diversity and respect our differences because we know different minds see more parts.
If you thrive in a fast paced environment where you can make a big impact on our product and our company culture, we want to hear from you.
Abstract is a remote-first company (US-based only at this time).
About the Role:
At Abstract, we're building the best platform for reviewing product design. We help design teams increase their impact with tools to transform the attribution, connection, and measurement of their work. We’re looking for a Principal Engineer to join our growing Engineering team.
What you'll do
You'll have the opportunity to set your own priorities in service of these goals:
- Shape the technical architecture of our web and desktop applications
- Experiment and iterate on solutions to our hardest technical challenges
- Collaborate with engineering teams to evaluate tradeoffs and find optimal implementations
- Collaborate with Product and Design teams to shape implementation and product roadmap
- Mentor engineers to help them develop technical and soft skills
What you'll bring
An ideal candidate will have some of these skills:
- A passion for building quality tools people love to use
- Excellent written communication and speaking skills to present ideas internally and represent Abstract externally
- Backend engineers should have deep experience with distributed services and a very good grasp of one or more of Ruby, Go, or Node
- A growth mindset and commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Strategic thinking to shape roadmaps, balancing tradeoffs between building new features and addressing technical debt
- Excellent leadership skills to build relationships across the entire organization with a strong desire to collaborate with and influence others to do their best work
- A desire to cultivate a culture of observability and collection of operational data to inform improvements to stability and performance
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing to all full-time employees. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, as well as dental, vision, and life insurance options. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, a health care FSA, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care, a budget to set up your home office, and a monthly wellness and internet stipend.
To help employees plan for the future, we offer competitive pay, access to financial services, and a 401(k).
We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Elastic Projects will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.