Social Justice Data Science Intern - Summer or Fall 2022
Equity is at the heart of A—B, from the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building. We are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry. Women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, people of any religion or nationality and people are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A—B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.
The Reason You’ll Love This Work:
This role will be a member of our Research Team. Our Data Analyst Intern will have an interest in and some course work in any of the following areas: statistical methods, computer science, machine learning, survey methods, and evaluation techniques.
A successful candidate will have to be a self-starter with a passion for precision while being comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. This position reports to the Head of Research. Given the complex nature of the questions we are working on, the ideal candidate will be relentlessly curious.
How You’ll Contribute:
- Communicating test results externally to partner organizations and to the internal team by articulating what worked, what didn’t, and where further research is needed
- Collaborating on the design, implementation, and evaluation of tests and experiments (both online and in the field), quasi-experimental studies, and qualitative evaluations
- Analyzing the results of these evaluations, including, where possible, conducting subgroup analyses to understand differential impacts by group (e.g., race, gender, age)
- Qualitative research using online tools
- Using machine learning and statistical analysis to derive and analyze results
- Conducting literature scans, research overviews, detailed result write-ups, succinct one-pagers, and presentations
- Tracking and executing various project work streams simultaneously, sticking to timelines, troubleshooting, and ensuring all deadlines are met
- Working cross-functionally to understand and support team needs
- Using Python or R to clean, analyze and visualize data
You’ll Find Success In This Role By Having:
- Experience in using Python or R for machine learning and statistical analysis
- Ability to embrace cleaning and working with raw and messy administrative and survey data
- Recent graduate of accredited degree program or currently studying
- A commitment to developing breakthrough research that supports and centers the voices of black and brown communities
- A passion for asking questions and a curious spirit
- Effective communication skills
- Background in marketing analytics, political data analysis, or behavioral science: We utilize behavioral science research and insights, thus any experience in marketing analytics, political data analysis, or behavioral science or data science is a nice to have
- Organizing experience: Political or legislative campaign experience or experience as an organizer for grassroots / nonprofit groups is a nice to have
This is a remote, virtual paid internship. Only candidates physically within the United States will be considered. We are dedicated to creating an organization that reflects the diversity of the country we serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, members or allies of the LGBTQIA+ communities, differently abled people, and others who are underrepresented to apply.
- Job type: 20-40 hours per week
- Operating hours: Monday-Friday roughly 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. E.T.
- Job length: Fall: Through December 2022 / Spring: January through May 2022
- Compensation: $20/hour + college credit available if needed
- Housing and travel accommodations: No
- Location: Remote, with colleagues primarily on the East Coast
- Outstanding communication skills. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills. Much of our work depends on responsiveness, timely communication, and clearly detailing the next steps with our partners while speaking clearly, and concisely.
- Time-efficient. Our organization’s ambitions are lofty. Because of that, the Research Director will have a substantial amount of work on their plate each day. The only way the Research Director will be able to complete their workload each day is through completing tasks quickly.
- Goal-oriented. Our work entails a combination of entrepreneurial creativity and straightforward execution. To maintain continual progress, we collaboratively set and check weekly goals.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to working in diverse teams and to creating an equitable and just world for Black and Brown people
Founded in 2018, A–B is redesigning the commercial creative agency with a new mission for a new moment. Black-owned and led by a multiracial and multi-gendered team, we are leading the transition to a new standard of equity—from a culture of injustice to a culture worth living in. Through our original practice of Identity-Powered Design™, A—B develops breakthrough research, insights, creative and campaigns with a singular goal: To put the solutions to our greatest problems within reach, by helping leaders in every sector transform how power works and who it works for.
Equity is at the heart of every solution we develop and our Experience Design Team starts there to align our clients to a unique and tailored A–B project experience. Our Strategy and Research teams work with our partners to crack the code on strategic challenges and create breakthrough insights that unlock new opportunities for impact. Our full-service Creative Studio brings together the most diverse team of designers and storytellers in the market to turn these insightful strategies into inspiring, best-in-class creative executions. And when the time comes for launch, our Media and Campaigns team delivers that creative, in-line with our client’s strategic objectives, to every channel necessary to maximize impact.