A—B INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
A—B is the agency for Identity-Powered Design™. Our breakthrough insights, creativity, and campaigns help leaders in every sector transform how power works and who it works for. Black-owned, multiracial and multi-gendered, we bring creativity and courage to help our partners lead the transition from colonialism and color blindness to a new standard of equity. If you’re ready to replace the culture of injustice with a culture worth living in, you’ve found your agency.
- Job type: 40 hours per week (full-time)
- Schedule: Monday-Friday roughly 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. E.T.
- Job length: September - December 2022
- Compensation: $15/hour + college credit available if needed
- Location: Remote, with colleagues primarily on the East Coast
- Application deadline: Rolling (apply ASAP)
During this internship, you will gain valuable skills for working at a social change-focused communications and design studio. The internship could include the following responsibilities:
- Contribute toward strategic positioning and messaging documents
- Research industry trends and stay up-to-date on current events
- Build and maintain media lists
- Conduct media outreach for clients through targeted pitching
- Write media backgrounder documents for clients prior to briefings
- Conduct media monitoring on client and news trends
- Track press coverage, clipping press hits and creating monthly press hit reports
- Draft and edit copy for press releases, newsletters and media materials
- Write and edit blog posts and articles
- Draft and post social media posts on behalf of A/B and our clients
- Monitor social channels for client engagements and news trends
The ideal candidate will have:
- 2 years of previous internship or work experience in journalism, public relations, political campaign, advocacy organization or a similar field.
- Has a critical analysis for complex issues impacting BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities.
- Exceptional storytelling skills, including writing and social media copy.
- Knowledge of AP Style and proper application.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills.
- Senior Associate: 4 years of previous internship or work experience in journalism, public relations, political campaign, advocacy organization or a similar field.
- Is comfortable in fast-paced work environments.
- Knowledge of G-Suite, scheduling, and Microsoft Products.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: Along with your resume, and in lieu of a cover letter, you must submit responses to the mandatory assignment below.
Your application cannot be considered without responses to the questions below.
Please review our WIN BLACK work here.
For More Context:
Powered by real-time insights, deep narrative strategy and a built-for-the-Internet creative studio—Win Black offers political education, leadership training, and most importantly, opportunities for members to flex their skills and supercharge their organizing.
The Black Party.
Attendance is mandatory.
Why this party?
Because there hasn’t been a party made for us. The GOP is twisted, the Dems are sleepy, no one has our back.
Remember applications must include responses to these questions
- What audience would you target with a campaign for this client?
- What would the goal of that campaign be?
- Identify three organizations who could benefit from work with A-B and explain why you chose them ?
- Draft a social media post for this client. What platform would you promote it on and why?
- Identify two other tactics or creative ideas you would use to build support for your idea.
Please submit/upload your responses as a separate document using the cover letter prompt.
Equity is at the heart of A—B, from the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building. We are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry. Women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A—B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.
Founded in 2018, A–B is redesigning the commercial creative agency with a new mission for a new moment. Black-owned and led by a multiracial and multi-gendered team, we are leading the transition to a new standard of equity—from a culture of injustice to a culture worth living in. Through our original practice of Identity-Powered Design™, A—B develops breakthrough research, insights, creative and campaigns with a singular goal: To put the solutions to our greatest problems within reach, by helping leaders in every sector transform how power works and who it works for.