A/B is a digital storytelling studio based in NYC creating new narratives about people, power, and social change to transform our politics and the economy. Our team is racially and gender diverse at every level, from entry level to ownership; we are bringing the best-in-class creative strategies usually reserved for the private sector side by side with deep experience in social movements and ventures; and we are building a team that can help a new generation of leaders win the debate on their terms.
This role will be a member of our Media and Campaigns team and report into the Head of Media and Campaigns. Grounded in research, informed by movement building and driven by creativity, the Media and Campaigns team at A/B brings sector expertise across earned, owned, paid media fields together. Equity is at the heart of the team, reflected in our team of communications leaders who turn insightful and bold campaigns into award-winning strategies that reaches, moves and inspires at scale.
The Director of Communications is a driving force behind the game changing narrative campaigns designed at A/B Partners. A proven leader with an ability to manage up, down, and laterally while driving complex, reactive strategies, the successful candidate will lead projects from beginning to end. Starting with designing a client’s experience at A/B through problem solving, creative expression and ultimately delivering stories into the world at scale, the Director will work closely with A/B’s leadership team on this critical work.
The Director of Communications drives the development of sophisticated earned media strategies for a broad intersection of clients— creating bold plans to connect with audiences beyond the mainstream media, particularly within communities and outlets of color. The Director will bring passion and dynamism to the work of procuring story leads and landing placements, and they will lead teams to develop and execute dynamic communications strategies for our clients. 6+ years experience in communications design and earned media strategy is strongly preferred.
- Establish a positive, credible and influential presence for our client brands across a variety of media platforms
- Develop media strategies to acquire new audiences for our clients beyond traditional press coverage, leveraging existing client channels
- Work collaboratively with client stakeholders to capitalize on our clients’ media coverage across all platforms
- Lead the development and launch of strategic programming and production strategies for client owned and operated channels, in close partnership with Strategy and Creative teams
- Track metrics and analytics, monitor trends, and provide strategic guidance on how to capitalize on potential earned media opportunities and further grow audience engagement
- Monitor online trends in order to identify media opportunities.
- Experience with overall account management, account growth, and leadership of cross-functional teams to develop approaches and targets that meet the impact goals of our clients
- Ability to identify needs that the client may not recognize and ensure that approaches and solutions are linked to objectives and future needs
- Consistently manage client expectations, ensure delivery of the highest quality service, and solicit and act on client feedback
- Manage a team of Associates and Senior Associates with between 3 and 5 years experience in related fields.
- Be a complete partner with the Design Lab teams as we develop and elevate issues, brands, and campaigns across channels. You will work collaboratively with senior-level planning, design, and amplification teams.
- Tell persuasive, creative stories that capture the challenges and opportunities for a client and the insights that drive the work.
- 6+ years of experience in building consistent media coverage for brands or organizations
- Strong media relations experience
- Strong relationships with media platforms and the progressive landscape.
- Solid understanding of progressive values and policies and how they intersect with the news.
- Exceptional storytelling skills, including writing and producing visual content
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with a strong understanding of messaging and reputation management
- Effective project and time-management skills, with the ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Trustworthy and credible; high level of integrity and excellent sense of judgment
- Results-oriented, self-directed, inquisitive and entrepreneurial-minded
- Ability to quickly adjust to unforeseen changes in priorities and workload, and to exercise good judgment in complex situations.
- Outstanding communication skills. Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are needed. Much of our work depends on responsiveness, timely communication, and detailing the next steps with our partners with clarity and concision.
- Goal-oriented. Our work entails a combination of entrepreneurial creativity and straightforward execution. To maintain continual progress, we collaboratively set and check weekly goals.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to working in diverse teams and committed to creating an equitable and just world for Black and Brown people.
Equity is at the heart of A/B. From the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building, we are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry. Women, people of color, LGBTI people, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A/B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.