Abl believes every student deserves the opportunity to maximize their potential by making informed and meaningful choices about their lives and futures. Unfortunately, many students aren’t given the same opportunities due to systemic inequities perpetuated by outdated, unresponsive systems. Abl offers advanced, data-driven software and services to help K12 school and district leaders identify and remove those barriers to equity. The Abl team is made up of engineers, product designers, and data scientists working together with education leaders and experts to build the tools schools districts need to shape pathways for each student to achieve success.
We are looking to add a talented Product Designer with a passion for education who will play a critical role collaborating with a small, fast-paced team to develop solutions that positively impact students and teachers. The role will involve a high degree of creativity, research, and communication often in collaboration with other departments. As a part of the Product team, you will report directly to the Sr. Manager, Product Design.
Note to Candidates: Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they check all the boxes listed in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
In this role you will:
- You’ll think and design holistically to create a cohesive and coherent product experience that delivers high value to school and district leaders
- You’ll tackle complex puzzles, providing users with intuitive tools and processes
- You'll create high-level user stories, UX flows, wireframes, prototypes, design mockups, specs, and production assets
- You’ll collaborate with the internal schools and engineering teams, and with customers
- You’ll provide actionable feedback gracefully and without ego, and won't hesitate to seek guidance yourself
- We'll work as a team to help school leaders challenge the status quo and create equitable learning opportunities.
- We'll develop new skills, adopt new tools and continuously hone our craft to stay on the cutting edge of product design.
- We’ll learn from your expertise and iterate on our own practices as a team and organization
Ideal candidate is:
- Impact focused: You’re a strategic thinker able to tackle complex user problems, addressing fundamental user needs and delivering impact. Bonus points for working with educators and schools.
- Project management: You've led, designed, coordinated, and shipped intuitive user experiences from conception to execution.
- Ability to think big and small: You’re comfortable envisioning versions of features many years in the future and working on a single feature’s first iteration
- Design depth: Experience designing data-heavy visualizations, recommendation UX and/or enterprise software is a big plus.
- Natural leadership: You enjoy taking initiative and owning projects, big and small. The details matter, and you're committed to getting it done right. You enjoy working with diverse perspectives and multiple stakeholders.
- Growth-mindset: You effectively convey your opinions to peers directly with clear expertise and humility. You encourage others to challenge or build upon your opinions.
Bonus Points if:
- You have experience driving initiatives at a company level
- You have experience working at a remote tech startup, EdTech is a plus
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible PTO for our employees to use as needed
- Stock option plan to give our employees a direct stake in Abl's success
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental, vision) subsidized up-to 100%
- Remote first company with in-person events throughout the year
- Generous Parental Leave and Adoption Assistance for your growing families
- Pre-tax benefits including 401k, FSA, and HSA with $1000 towards the account
- Learning & Development opportunities and reimbursements for further professional training
Abl employees share a passion for revolutionizing education through school design, whether or not they have prior experience working in the field. We value diversity of background and thought. We strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We believe shared ownership builds a more resilient company, and we tackle hard problems, together. If that sounds like your dream work environment, we look forward to hearing from you.