Abl believes every student deserves the opportunity to make informed and meaningful choices about their life and future. Unfortunately, many students aren’t given the same opportunities due to systemic inequities. Abl offers advanced, data driven software and services to help K12 schools and districts identify and remove those inequities. We are currently doing this work with some of the largest districts in the country, such as Los Angeles Unified, New York Dept of Ed, Portland Public Schools, Denver Public Schools, and the state of Washington.
The Abl team is made up of veteran school leaders, district-level decision-makers, and teachers working together with veteran software engineers, designers, and data scientists.
We are looking for an experienced data scientist who will be a key innovator in leveraging data to provide robust recommendations and product features that positively impact students and teachers. Your contributions will have a meaningful impact on the lives of students across the country.
You’re excited about this role because...
- You will frame and develop impactful and statistically sound insights, metrics, reports, and recommendations to improve student outcomes and equity.
- You’ll take analyses and models from prototype to production using standard tools like SQL, Python/pandas, R/tidyverse, dbt, and Mode Analytics. These will power data visualizations in internal and customer-facing dashboards, real-time analysis and recommendations in our scheduling SaaS product, and presentations to stakeholders.
- Your work will be supported by a data science platform that enables direct contribution to analytics and production data pipelines in SQL and Python.
- You will report to the Head of Data Science and collaborate with our product and engineering teams as well as in-house experts in education.
We’re excited about you because...
- You’re impact focused and autonomous: You excel at framing the larger question and identifying areas where data science can provide added value.
- You can span the data science stack: You’ve done extensive analysis and modeling in a data-centric environment using Python/pandas or R/tidyverse, SQL and ETL pipelines, and you have experience taking these to production with the help of data platform tools.
- You’re a steward of rigorous and responsible statistics: You have deep statistical intuition and experience developing high-impact models that impact individuals. You’re comfortable interpreting and applying academic research.
- You value strong communication: You enjoy and excel at communicating complex findings in a simple, approachable way for technical and non-technical audiences alike. You effectively communicate your opinions to peers with expertise, humility, and kindness.
- You have a growth mindset: You welcome feedback and new ideas and cultivate a collaborative environment.
Abl employees share a passion for revolutionizing education through school design, whether or not they have prior experience working in the field. We value diversity of background and thought. We strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We believe shared ownership builds a more resilient company, and we tackle hard problems, together. If that sounds like your dream work environment, we look forward to hearing from you.
A Note to Candidates
Studies have shown that women, people of color, and folks from other groups underrepresented in technology are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they check all the boxes in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you think you’re a good fit, we encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications.