Abl believes every student deserves the opportunity to make informed and meaningful choices about their life and future. Unfortunately, many students aren’t given the same opportunities due to systemic inequities. Abl offers advanced, data driven software and services to help K12 schools and districts identify and remove those inequities.
We are looking for an ambitious and experienced leader to join our Operations team. The Director of Talent & People Operations position is an exciting opportunity to shape the development of Abl’s most valuable asset: our team members. You will have the opportunity to support our talent, human resources, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, driving positive outcomes that will enable each Abl team member to bring their best self to work in the service of our mission.
What You’ll Do
- Talent Management: Identify and attract diverse, high quality, high fit talent by designing and overseeing recruitment initiatives. Drive team member growth, inclusion, and continuous learning by designing and executing a professional development program, planning content for annual retreats, and administering and improving our staff surveys. Support team member performance by overseeing and improving our performance and career management systems focused on effective feedback.
- Payroll, Benefits and Compensation: Ensure that competitive and fair compensation and benefits options are given to employees and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws (EEOC, ADA, FMLA, etc.). Manage wage and salary administration, benefits administration, and employee assistance, in collaboration with our PEO.
- Employee Relations: Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements with relevant local and national employment laws related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- HR Compliance: Update company policies and employee handbook as needed. Communicate new/revised policies and procedures to staff as needed. Assist in ensuring compliance with HR laws through policy implementation and updates, employee documentation/files, and process review and improvement. Coordinate and document employee leaves of absence in collaboration with our PEO; assist with identifying, summarizing, and implementing city- and state-mandated paid leave laws.
- Onboarding and Offboarding: Ensure new team members have a seamless transition into Abl, from acceptance of final offer to their first weeks and months at work. Ensure a seamless offboarding process, and encourage long lasting ties to Abl, even as people move on in their careers.
- Culture: Champion Abl’s values and culture, designing and implementing organization-wide initiatives that embed our identity and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in our work.
What You Bring to the Table
- Proficiency in HR trends, standards, requirements, and impacts: Demonstrated experience in roles focused on company-wide people-decisions
- Teamliness: Highly collaborative; committed to your own personal learning and growth to make you a more effective teammate; highly aware of your impact in your communication with others.
- Responsibility: Strong sense of ownership over our work and our people’s experiences of our company.
- Activation: Default to getting things done, taking charge and forging a path forward; can get others excited about the work as well.
- Growth Mindset: A desire for continuous improvement and a foundation of self-awareness that provides space for learning and growth for you and your colleagues.
- Data Driven: Ability to gather data, structure quantitative and qualitative analyses, and draw actionable recommendations on a variety of People Ops and DEIB topics.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Strong written and verbal communication skills with an ability to create original written content and deliver verbal presentations in multiple settings.
- Commitment to Equity: An ability to listen with an open mind, develop trusting relationships with external partners and colleagues, and possess a deep commitment to advancing equity personally and through our work.
Abl employees all share a passion for revolutionizing education through school design, whether or not they have prior experience working in the field. We value diversity. We strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We believe shared ownership builds a more resilient company, and we tackle hard problems together.
A Note to Candidates
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.