Abl believes every student deserves the opportunity to make informed and meaningful choices about their life and future. Unfortunately, many students aren’t given the same opportunities due to systemic inequities. Abl offers advanced, data driven software and services to help K12 schools and districts identify and remove those inequities. Abl is currently doing this work with some of the largest districts in the country, such as Los Angeles Unified, New York Dept of Ed, Portland Public Schools, Denver Public Schools, and the state of Washington.
The Abl team is made up of veteran school leaders, district-level decision-makers, and teachers working together with veteran software engineers, designers, and data scientists.
We are looking for an experienced product designer with a passion for education who will play a critical role collaborating with a small, fast-paced team to develop solutions that positively impact students and teachers. Your contributions will have a meaningful impact on our company and the lives of students across the country.
What you'll do
- You’ll think and design holistically to create a cohesive and coherent product experience that delivers high value to school and district leaders
- You’ll tackle complex puzzles, providing users with intuitive tools and processes
- You'll create high-level user stories, UX flows, wireframes, prototypes, design mockups, specs, and production assets
- You’ll collaborate with the internal schools and engineering teams, and with customers
- You’ll provide actionable feedback gracefully and without ego, and won't hesitate to seek guidance yourself
What you've done
- Impact focused: You’re a strategic thinker able to tackle complex user problems, addressing fundamental user needs and delivering impact. Bonus points for working with educators and schools.
- Project management: You've led, designed, coordinated, and shipped intuitive user experiences from conception to execution.
- Ability to think big and small: You’re comfortable envisioning versions of features many years in the future and working on a single feature’s first iteration
- Design depth: Experience designing data-heavy visualizations, recommendation UX and/or enterprise software is a big plus.
- Natural leadership: You enjoy taking initiative and owning projects, big and small. The details matter, and you're committed to getting it done right. You enjoy working with diverse perspectives and multiple stakeholders.
- Growth-mindset: You effectively convey your opinions to peers directly with clear expertise and humility. You encourage others to challenge or build upon your opinions.
What we'll do
- We'll work as a team to help school leaders challenge the status quo and create equitable learning opportunities.
- We'll develop new skills, adopt new tools and continuously hone our craft to stay on the cutting edge of product design.
- We’ll learn from your expertise and iterate on our own practices as a team and organization
Please provide a link to your portfolio. Highlight examples of your data visualization design work, if possible.
Abl employees all share a passion for revolutionizing education through school design, whether or not they have prior experience working in the field. We value diversity. We strive to create a safe and supportive environment where trust, communication, creativity, and humility are valued as highly as technical skills. We believe shared ownership builds a more resilient company, and we tackle hard problems, together.
A Note to Candidates
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.