Able is a product design and development studio. We work primarily with high-growth companies and nonprofits to elevate and accelerate their potential. Our team is made up of 90+ Designers, Product Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers who work seamlessly with our clients to build world-class products.
We are seeking a Managing Director of Engineering to steer, grow, and inspire our team and our clients. We are looking for someone who is a natural builder, driven to create something that’s never been made before.
Over the past several years, Able has grown immeasurably. Our revenue and team have grown +30% y/y. We’ve also grown in the type of company that we are:
Chapter 1: We were founded in 2013 as a product and engineering hub for a portfolio of early stage start-ups. We grew up as an in-house/external hybrid shared services model. That allowed us to hone our skills and establish our operational and cultural foundation.
Chapter 2. In 2019 we began to expand our vision. We began to grow outside of our inset partner base. We had good initial success meeting new partners, kicking off new relationships, and delivering high value work.
Chapter 3. We are now in the early stages of a new chapter, an expansion of the ambition of Chapter 2. Our strategy for growth centers around two audiences:
- Venture Capital. VC firms are looking for trusted product and technology solutions to distribute seamlessly across their portfolios at scale. The founders at their portfolio companies are looking for capabilities that can accelerate their businesses' go-to-market time, while minimizing cost and risk.
- Private Equity. PE firms are looking for trusted solutions that can catalyze growth for their portfolio companies at scale. The leaders of those companies are looking to leverage technology to unlock growth from their organizations.
1) Technical Strategy and Innovation Leadership
We are seeking a leader who can evolve the definition and implementation of our technical vision at Able. This entails codifying our work methodologies, refining our technical focus, establishing success metrics, and developing a growth agenda to drive continuous improvement in our operations. Your role will involve identifying emerging technologies and trends that align with our business objectives, leveraging them to foster innovation and maintain a competitive edge.
2) Business Development and Partner (Client) Leadership
Your exceptional expertise in technology will be instrumental in driving partner (client) engagements and igniting remarkable business growth. This involves utilizing your technical proficiency during board-level conversations to offer thoughtful solutions that empower our partners to thrive and foster innovation in their businesses. You will also serve as a strategic liaison, cultivating mutually beneficial relationships and identifying strategic partnership opportunities.
3) Cultural and Operational Leadership
With a talented team of 50+ engineers across seven countries in Latin America, we need an empathetic leader who can inspire them with a unifying vision for craft, collaboration, and value. You will collaborate closely with and provide guidance to the projects' lead engineers in resolving any project-related challenges that may arise. Your role will be instrumental in driving excellence and ensuring adherence to best practices throughout the discipline.
What we’re looking for
- 10+ years of technology leadership experience.
- Extensive hands-on engineering background, ideally in digital agency and enterprise settings.
- Comfortable reviewing code or having technical discussions with a CTO and presenting to non-technical executives.
- Proven success in supporting rapid business growth.
- Relentless pursuit of understanding and learning, applying newfound knowledge to work and life.
- Thrives on collaborative synergy, inviting others to feed off of their energy and accountability.
- Embraces ambiguity, excels at solving complex problems and driving experimentation.
- Motivated to deliver exceptional work, avoiding shortcuts and setting high expectations for self and others.
- Dynamic and ambitious approach to company building, for Able and for our partners’ organizations.
What you’ll love about Able
- We are a team of all-around company builders who are both ambitious and down-to-earth
- A relaxed, remote-first environment
- We offer competitive base compensation, paid parental leave, and snacks shipped to your home
- A culture designed around the whole employee. We encourage and enable curious, empathetic, and collaborative team members who are inspired to co-create the future of Able
- We support and ensure a healthy work-life balance is maintained through realistic deadlines, hours, and goals and have incorporated no meetings and shortened Friday hours
- Flexible paid time off for all full-time employees. This includes vacation, sick days, wellness days, and social impact hours that you can use to take time off and give back to your community
- Monthly health and wellness reimbursements
- Put People First; We're caring, open, and encouraging. We respect the richness that we each bring into our work.
- Imagine better; We are optimistic in our outlook, as well as creative and proactive to deliver the highest quality.
- Expect excellence; We commit to each other to always strive to be our best.
- Simplify to solve; We create better outcomes by reducing complexity.
- We are all builders; We are motivated and empowered to help build Able, and our partners’ businesses.
- One Able, Many voices; Our unity is our strength. Our diversity is our energy.
Able was founded in 2013 on the premise that entrepreneurs and philanthropists needed a better service model for building technology.
Today we're 80+ exceptionally talented builders throughout North and Latin America. We've developed our own products, and we've launched, innovated and scaled projects for our partners.
We believe talent and teams come first. Our environment allows us to work on diverse, high-impact products and technology in a truly people-oriented culture. We value outcomes over effort, and strive to get better every day.
Our unique model allows us to field a focused, dedicated team of designers, engineers, and all-around company builders. Each team is outcome-oriented, designed to seamlessly integrate with our partners, and ready to adapt as their business evolves.
Let’s build together.
Able is committed to inclusion and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.