Able’s technology teams consist of exceptional product designers, software engineers, product managers, and all-around company builders. The teams we build incubate our own investments and work with our partners (e.g. clients) to start, accelerate, and grow impact through technology. Our teams are capable of addressing every stage of the technology venture lifecycle; and, they enjoy a significant competitive advantage on day one by drawing from our portfolio of proven practices, internal tools, and intellectual property.
Able is seeking a Director of Engineering to join our growing team. As a Director of Engineering, you will nurture and retain our team, create processes that ship software faster, and ensure our Engineering team has the tools and resources to maximize their potential. You will be a leader, coach, problem solver, advocate, and teammate. You will set clear goals and enable your team and direct reports to do their best work.
What you'll be doing
- Work alongside the leadership team to support and influence Able’s business and partner strategy
- Execute and work with team leads to translate Able’s company and partner (client) strategies into department and individual OKRs and KPIs
- Oversee timely delivery of products, while continuously improving upon practice disciplines
- Effectively listen and manage our partner’s expectations through frequent and clear communication
- Embody and establish a strong culture within the engineering team, acting as a mentor and leader
- Collaborate with various team leads and departments to ensure a successful team member onboarding process
- Mentor and work with team members to identify opportunities for growth and professional development
- Identify Engineering team hiring needs; collaborate and support recruitment efforts through interview participation and feedback
- Provide actionable and timely feedback to team members
- Model and reinforce our Core Values
What we re looking for
- A minimum of 10 years of experience, with at least 7 in a management or leadership role at a digital consulting company/mid-stage startup
- Experience working in a fast-paced, agency environment and with distributed teams
- Experience in scaling and leading high-performing teams across multiple geographies
- Experience building complex projects at scale against defined SLAs
- Modern web development frameworks and technologies (Rails, Node, AWS, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Passion for honing and refining the software development process
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is strongly preferred
- Experience working and/or living in LATAM is strongly preferred
What you’ll love about Able
- We are a team of all-around company builders who are both ambitious and humble
- We offer competitive base compensation, 100% employer-paid health benefits, 401k, paid parental leave, snacks, relaxed office environment
- Diversity adds value to everything we do — we hire a wide range of backgrounds and experiences to allow the team to bring their own unique ways of thinking and working to each project
- We host team lunches and outings (when it is safe to do so)
- We believe in giving back to the community and helping others, which is why give the team social impact hours to use at their discretion
- We offer flexible paid time off for all full-time employees (including vacation, sick days, and wellness days) because we understand the value of health, relaxation, spending time with friends and family, and traveling the world
- We believe a healthy body equals a healthy mind, so we offer a monthly health and wellness reimbursement
Our Core Values
- Champion Outcomes Over Effort; We take ownership of problems and emphasize that the results created are more important than the time we spend or the approach that we take.
- Contribute to the Solution; We are responsible for identifying issues, and doing what we can to help solve them.
- Put People First; We emphasize people and relationships over process or ideas. We seek to build and reinforce trust with colleagues and partners.
- Commit to Diversity; We contribute to a world where everyone can be themselves, together.
- Get Better Every Day; We believe we all have the ability to improve and we're driven to help everyone be the best they can be.
Able builds technology products in a portfolio model. We believe that people, teams, and processes are more important than the ideas themselves, so we’ve focused on bringing great people together, and investing in their growth.
We’ve built products in a variety of industries. Everything from media to finance to toys to healthcare. Sometimes we work with management teams to help their businesses grow faster or unlock value using technology. Other times we start or buy businesses outright. Each time, we look for opportunities to leverage technology built at the portfolio-level to drive value faster.
Able is committed to inclusion and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.