Able is a team of designers and engineers that have launched, grown, and sold technology companies. Now, we pool our skills to build a growing portfolio of businesses. We believe the future of investing will be driven by technical capability and that people with our skills shouldn't have to bet everything on the success of a single startup.
Able is seeking a Director of Business Operations to join our New York or San Francisco office. In this role, you will collaborate across all departments and lead the Operations, HR, and Recruiting teams and functions in the Business Department. You will report to the Managing Director, Business. At Able, we believe that the Business Team Members are builders in a similar manner to product designers or software engineers, bringing a builder mentality to how we operate collectively as a company.
Your focus will be to create and maintain a world-class team and team member experience that supports productivity, team retention, and happiness while solving challenging product problems.
What will be expected of you
- Collaboration; you make an effort to involve people with diverse backgrounds and skillsets in your process. You take criticism well and know how to prioritize and incorporate varying points of view.
- Communication; you build trust and buy-in by articulating your decisions in an empathetic and data-informed manner.
- Management and team leadership; your success is defined by the success of the individuals you support as a manager and the collective outcomes generated as a team.
- Service mindset; you have deep empathy for the experience of product builders and bring this to your operations, human resources, and recruiting efforts.
- Team builder and leader; you are constantly looking to build alignment between team members and challenges to be solved, individuals and teams of complements, productive debate and rapid progress.
Who we are looking for
- Experience generating strategic outcomes through operations, HR, and recruiting activities.
- Business operations experience, including office management, office real estate transactions, and service provider management.
- Experience building, deploying, and generating adoption of operations and HR policies.
- Experience managing team experience with a focus on gathering team feedback for improvement.
- A focus on data-informed decisions and debate.
- Experience managing hiring, performance improvement, terminations, HR situations, policy enforcement, and team compensation processes.
- Efficient and outcome-focused collaboration with executives, department leaders, and the finance team.
- A passion for building teams and scaling technology companies.
- 3 - 7 years of experience in Operations, HR, and / or Recruiting leadership.
- 3 - 7 years of team and individual contributor management.
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience at growth stage technology and product companies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
As Able team members, we always:
- Champion outcomes over effort
- Contribute to the solution
- Put people first
- Commit to diversity
- Get better every day
Able builds technology products in a portfolio model. We believe that people, teams, and processes are more important than the ideas themselves, so we’ve focused on bringing great people together, and investing in their growth.
We’ve built products in a variety of industries. Everything from media to finance to toys to healthcare. Sometimes we work with management teams to help their businesses grow faster or unlock value using technology. Other times we start or buy businesses outright. Each time, we look for opportunities to leverage technology built at the portfolio-level to drive value faster.
We believe that a diverse team brings extraordinary success and we have created a work environment geared towards work/life balance and happiness. Able is committed to inclusion and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
You must be authorized to work in the United States.