Able is a team of designers and engineers that have launched, grown, and sold technology companies. Now, we pool our skills to build a growing portfolio of businesses. We believe the future of investing will be driven by technical capability and that people with our skills shouldn't have to bet everything on the success of a single startup.
Able is seeking a Product Designer to join our New York office. As a Product Designer, you will collaborate with cross-functional teams to design and develop products that address real user and business needs. You’ll work directly with Product Leads, Product Managers, and other designers to define and build product solutions.
Your focus will be to strive toward designing compelling user experiences with beautiful, on-brand aesthetics and strong interaction design. You’ll collaborate closely with Tech Leads and Senior Engineers to bring your designs to market.
What will be expected of you
- A human-centered approach to design; you build empathy for the people you are designing for and you understand that their feedback is fundamental to creating effective solutions.
- Collaboration; you make an effort to involve people with diverse backgrounds and skillsets in your process. You take criticism well and know how to prioritize and incorporate varying points of view.
- Communication; you build trust and buy-in by articulating your design decisions in an empathetic and practical manner to internal and external stakeholders, including non-designers.
- Experimentation; you see prototyping and testing as an integral part of your design process. You continually challenge yourself to identify ways to solve your user’s problems while balancing technical complexity.
- Thoughtful UI and interaction design; you care about the details and strive for beautiful, consistent, and on-brand aesthetics. You balance that well with usability and delivering high-quality solutions that meet deadlines.
Who we are looking for
- Experience creating or managing design systems and style guides.
- Cares about the details especially related to typography, grid systems, iconography, and micro-copy.
- Enjoys and sees value in collaborating with engineers, designers, and product managers to define compelling product experiences within the project and technical constraints.
- Integrates human-computer interaction (HCI) principles into their design process and solutions.
- A passion for creating products that users love and extract value from.
- An appreciation of how difficult it is to build new software products and the never-ending desire to persevere through challenges and constraints.
- 2–3 years of experience working as a Product Designer.
- A portfolio with a collection of products that demonstrates great user experience, strong UI solutions, and thoughtful interaction design.
- Ideally has experience designing solutions for web and mobile products.
- Experience with Sketch.
- Experience with prototyping (InVision, Framer, Marvel, etc.) as a way to explore and validate ideas, and to communicate design requirements.
- Experience conducting basic user research and competitive analysis.
- Experience collaborating with engineers, product managers, and designers.
- Experience designing products with clients to solve business needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Able is a rapidly growing product studio that builds and invests in a portfolio of diverse digital products. We believe that people, teams, and processes are more important than the ideas themselves, so we’ve focused on bringing great people together, and investing in their growth.
We’ve built products in a variety of industries. Everything from media to finance to toys to healthcare. Sometimes we work with management teams to help their businesses grow faster or unlock value using technology. Other times we start or buy businesses outright. Each time, we look for opportunities to leverage technology built at the portfolio-level to drive value faster.
We believe that a diverse team brings extraordinary success and we have created a work environment geared towards work/life balance and happiness. Able is committed to inclusion and diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
You must be authorized to work in the United States.