About Abalone Bio
Abalone Bio is a San Francisco Bay Area, preclinical-stage biotechnology company developing antibody drugs for G protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs), ion channels and other membrane protein targets. We are developing our own therapeutics as well as partnering with pharmaceutical companies to discover drug candidates for their targets.
At the core of our company is a functional antibody discovery platform comprising a synthetic biology-powered cell-based enrichment component and an NGS-powered computational selection component. We directly search for antibodies that can modulate the function of receptor targets, rather than first finding binders and then screening that subset for function. We find ultra-rare antibodies that have unique functional properties that enable us to address previously untreatable diseases.
Who are we looking for?
You will join a small cross-functional R&D team and work closely with other Abalone Bio team members. You will leverage your deep background to optimize Abalone Bio’s antibody selection platform, finding efficiencies at all steps of the process. You will provide scientific and technical leadership and collaborate with project teams while working on complex problems. You have the ability to quickly learn and develop new techniques and methods and synthesize complex data sets. You leverage creative thinking to propose and advocate new ideas, make connections, and solve problems. You excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented start-up environment and enjoy the challenge of working on multiple projects and wearing many hats.
- Develop, test and implement optimizations to Abalone Bio’s antibody selection technology (biological and computational aspects)
- Develop and perform yeast cell-based selections for functional antibodies against membrane targets
- Develop high-throughput assays for antibody validation and characterization in yeast and mammalian cells
- Design, construct and characterize antibody libraries
- Generate and analyze NGS data for identification of functional antibody hits
- Support team by providing subject matter expertise; maintain knowledge of scientific trends, industry processes and target literature
- Effectively communicate with the team and external collaborators
- Document all procedures accurately and in a timely manner
- Mentor and train junior team members
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology or a related field with 1-2 years of experience, industry preferred (Scientist), or 3-5 years of industry experience (Sr. Scientist); MS in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Immunology or a related field with 8+ years of industry experience
- Experience optimizing complex processes
- Deep background in microbial genetic engineering and microbiology
- Experience developing and performing selections and screens
- Developing, validating, and troubleshooting cell-based and biochemical assays
Huge plus (but not required):
- NGS sequencing and analysis
- Background in GPCR signaling, G proteins, and related science
- Working experience with S. cerevisiae
- Microscopy and flow cytometry
- Antibody library design
- Antibody or protein engineering, production, purification, and analysis
- Data analysis using R or other analytical tools; scripting in Unix or Python; development of new computational workflows
We are driven by making an impact on patient lives. We seek team members who thrive in a team environment emphasizing respect, inclusiveness, crisp logic, creativity and openness.
Abalone Bio offers compensation commensurate with qualifications, including competitive salary, stock options, health, dental and vision coverage, and a retirement plan. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Abalone Bio may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is for our Emeryville, CA location.