In a digital economy, data is the 21st century gold rush. Imagine working for a big data company with 10 petabytes of data at your fingertips. A company where we are deriving insights from 35+ terabytes of new data every week. 84.51° is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Kroger Company. Our data is sourced from consumer transactions and behavior across 24 banners, 38 states and 58 million households. We are the research, development, and innovation arm of the nation’s second largest retailer. We create advanced data driven solutions putting the customer at the center of all of our decisions.
What you’ll do
This position is a unique opportunity to join a small team of system designers and developers who are dedicated to creating a sustainable design system that will shape the future of products at 84.51°.
You will be an instrumental part of how we build, implement, and maintain the 84.51° design system. You’ll partner with teammates to understand user needs and create unified or divergent solutions accordingly. You’ll be responsible for building the foundations of our design system through components, utilities, and design tokens. You’ll provide technical direction and code reviews to maintain that the overall vision of the system is being implemented and used properly.
At 84.51° we work full-stack and the team owns features end-to-end. On our teams, we’re working daily with product, design and data scientists to understand the problem and translate learnings into a pragmatic and effective solution. We happily pull in a peer when we need a pair to get through a tough problem or just for a second pair of eyes. We are always balancing new feature development with efforts to continuously improve both our efficiency and our infrastructure.
You should have:
- A passion for bringing customer-first experiences to life through multiple product touchpoints
- Strong leadership skills to define business problems, plan, and set priority
- Drive and passion to research, evaluate, and recommend emerging trends/technology to solve business problems and improve the way things are done
- The mindset of an intrapreneurial thinker and self-starter to seek out our customer's needs and build solutions to meet them
- Experience building mature front-end solutions preferably including design systems or sharable components
- Research & Architecture: Collaborating with cross-functional teams to architect, design, and build design system solutions
- Design & Develop: Designing, developing, and deploying cutting edge components, design patterns, utilities, and tooling
- Integration: Planning and proposing solutions to integrate our design system into a variety of software and tools
- Innovation: Innovating with cutting edge web technology, prototyping, implementing, and fine-tuning solutions
- Mentoring & Learning: Mentoring, learning, and collaborating with a diverse, talented team
- Documentation: Documenting and educating others on use of design system solutions developed
- Bachelor’s degree typically in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Business Analytics or another technically strong program
- 6+ years working in modern full-stack web-application development
- Experience with sustainable engineering practices such as automated testing, continuous integration, continuous deployment, and monitoring / alerting.
- Experience building and shipping multiple large software products using agile methodologies
- Excellent communication skills - you can effectively work with engineers but at the same time collaborate with product owners, data analysts and stakeholders
Preferred skills include:
- Experience with web components and reactive programming
- Full stack experience that overlaps across our tech stack (Java, Spring Boot, RESTful APIs, Docker, RabbitMQ)
- Experience working on distributed or remote-first teams
- Experience with DevOps best practices and tools