Who We Are
In a digital economy data is the 21st century gold rush. Imagine working for a big data company with 10 petabytes of data at your fingertips. A company where analysts and scientists derive insights from 35+ terabytes of new data every week. 84.51° is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Kroger Company. Our data is sourced from consumer transactions and behavior across 24 banners, 38 states and 62 million households. We are the research, development and innovation arm of the nation’s third largest retailer. We develop advanced data science solutions putting the customer at the center of all our decisions.
An exciting data science role exists in our Commercial Platforms – New Ventures space. You will be working directly with our internal and external healthcare partners to develop solutions to enhance the patient experience, improve health outcomes, and lower total cost of care. This role is responsible for leading a team leveraging large volumes of data across multiple sources in a variety of forms to develop powerful sciences using cutting edge machine learning, natural language processing, and mathematical techniques to predict health status and optimize proactive intervention.
- Influence and partner with Commercial Platforms leaders to develop immediate and long-term strategic plans in Healthcare markets
- Present support for strategic vison to senior leadership and stakeholders
- Develop and oversee innovation/capability roadmaps to support strategic and commercial plans
- Enable & manage a team of experienced data scientists in delivering strategic objectives and work plans while developing their individual technical and business skills
- Continually identify opportunities for data science innovation and research within Healthcare through exploration of new technologies or methodologies, and application of industry expertise
- Lead/execute innovation initiatives, including technical evaluation, science reviews, and go/no-go decisions on methodologies, sciences, and solutions
- Engage with stakeholders to translate business questions into statistical and machine learning paradigms
- Owner (final sign off) of capability methodology decisions on major Commercial Platforms Healthcare related sciences
- Stay up to date with health industry best practices and Kroger Health developments, while proactively sharing new technologies or solutions with internal partners and stakeholders
- Collaborate with 84.51° software engineers and product managers to enable deployment of sciences and technologies that will scale across our ecosystem
- Ensure team adheres to stringent quality assurance, documentation standards, using version control, and code repositories (e.g., Git, Jupyter, Markdown)
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- 6+ years of experience working with health data i.e. Medical Claims, Pharmacy Claims, EMR, and/or other payor or provider data
- 6+ years of experience working with analytical solutions using advanced statistical methods or machine learning algorithms.
- 3+ years of experience influencing strategic decision making and analytic solution development
- 3+ years of experience managing, recruiting, training, developing, coaching, and/or inspiring highly technical associates.
- Experience using Python, Databricks, or other similar open source big data statistical software and/or architecture (e.g. Hadoop, Spark).
- Experience with data wrangling, data cleaning and prep, dimensionality reduction.
- Ability to create computationally efficient solutions.
- Data visualization skills and ability to present technical solutions to non-technical audience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical, creative problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong business acumen; grocery and/or retail experience is a plus.
- Passionate about data, analysis and insights.
- Welcomes and embraces change.
- Ability to work fast yet accurately.
- An openness and willingness to try new things and to fail.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in mathematics, statistics, economics, computer science or related field