Engineering at 84.51° builds software and data solutions that enable our customers and partners to drive value through better understanding of and engagement with shoppers in the digital and physical retail arena. These solutions incorporate big data and data science & analytics using some of the newest technologies and platforms in the industry. We are changing the way retail and CPGs do business and the way they interact with shoppers. Making life more rewarding for our community and our associates is an essential part of the process. Our team is known for their enthusiasm, camaraderie and sense of fun. That’s why we engage in a range of official and unofficial activities to get together, serve the community, and have fun. We need more great people who want to join us in doing cool, industry-changing, brain-stimulating work.
Overview of role
You bring technology and people leadership skills together along with business acumen to enable and empower your teams to build great solutions. You build relationships and work in close partnership with other development leaders as well as people in the business areas, Product, Data Science, Architecture, Experience Design, Infrastructure and Support to build, deliver and support full stack applications and big data solutions. You know what great looks like in engineering and can provide direction or coaching to enable your teams to deliver quality solutions. You motivate, uplift and enable great talent through direct coaching and career development as well as indirectly through connections within the organization. You embrace the desire to constantly evolve, test and learn to iteratively deliver value.
Work within an Agile SDLC to enable teams to deliver software and big data solutions that align with the company’s vision and goals. Provide engineering leadership to build, grow and mature the talent and the function. Focus on program level initiatives and strategy spanning multiple teams (vs focus at the team level).
- Build, Deliver and support solutions
- Understand the business need and be able break down the problem space.
- Partner with members of the Product organization in constant dialogue on objectives, roadmaps and milestones.
- Collaborate with the business and across multiple functions (Agile delivery, Product, Data Science, Architecture, Infrastructure, etc) to ensure teams are aligned and moving in the right direction to deliver.
- Stay ahead of your teams. Take a view of a minimum 6 months to 1 year out both from a body of work standpoint as well as talent development.
- Raise concerns and negotiate to deliver the best outcome for the business.
- Provide engineering leadership
- Bring leaders along outside of engineering (eg business leaders)
- Provide technical leadership through coaching/evangelizing on best practices and advising on pros/cons/risks.
- Enable and support activities that help mature the engineering discipline.
- Increase efficiencies pro-actively. Reduce silos and re-invention by bringing focus to shared capabilities and connecting people.
- Create resource and recruitment plans to support the work. Execute the plans through targeted skill development, recruiting, interviewing, and onboarding/training.
- Support talent development through the 84.51 performance management process. This includes creating objectives, consistent feedback, end of year evaluations, talent calibrations and career development.
Required Characteristics & Technical Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Data Science, Information Science or another equivalent program
- 5-8 years of experience in a technical role leading/mentoring
- 2-5 years of experience in a people management role or equivalent experience developing talent through leading/mentoring
- Passionate about growing talent
- Geeks out on technology and leverages that enthusiasm/knowledge to solve business problems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Able to take complex problems and break it down.
- Proven ability to build relationships and work collaboratively across technical and non-technical groups
- Knowledgeable or experienced in some subset of the following:
- Agile SDLC
- Object Oriented languages
- Cloud development
- Microservices architecture
- Big Data ETL
- Python and PySpark
- Java/Spring Boot
- DevOps tools/concepts