Organisation: 38 Degrees
Salary : £40,000 to £55,000
Location: London OR Edinburgh
Reporting to: Head of Campaigns
Hours: Full Time (40 hours a week)
Benefits: 27 days holiday per year (plus Bank Holidays), employer pension contribution, 24 hour employee support line, enhanced family leave policies, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme, free annual flu vaccination, rental deposit loan, contribution to eye tests
Contract: Permanent (fixed term considered)
Closing date: 04/10/2019
38 Degrees is one of the UK's biggest campaigning communities, involving over 2 million people who campaign to make the UK a better place. We’re united by a set of shared values; to defend fairness, protect rights, promote peace, preserve the planet and deepen democracy.
In the space of a week, millions of members could be campaigning on anything from protecting our NHS and stopping cuts to Universal Credit, to saving local libraries and pushing for laws that welcome more refugees.
38 Degrees is fiercely independent. We don’t take donations from political parties, or big donors. We’re run on hundreds of thousands of small donations from the public. This independence means we never have to hold ourselves back from taking on those with power and can truly listen to our members.
38 Degrees has two offices: one in London and one in Edinburgh, and lots of the team choose to work remotely fairly regularly. The 38 Degrees culture is honest, kind, supportive, courageous, and respectful. We move fast, and frequently change plans to respond to events. We work hard but we also have fun.
We're currently a team of 39 (July 2019) staff, and have a turnover of approx £5.7 million (year ended 30 September 2018).
We’re looking for a Campaigns Manager to help us run and win campaigns that make the UK a better place. You’ll be part of a high-trust, supportive team and you’ll play a significant role in shaping the overall direction of 38 Degrees - whether that’s shaping our culture, developing our team or contributing to and leading parts of our organisational strategy.
Day-to-day you’ll be creating strategies and guiding teams to put those plans into action - sometimes responding fast to a news moment and other times working on longer term projects and campaigns. You’ll be a champion of our members and come up with ideas and tactics that will make real change in the world - from digital tools like petitions, to media and working with external partners and allies.
You should apply for this role if:
- You work well as a part of a team and enjoy collaborating
- You are passionate about making change by giving ordinary people the power to do so
- You’re able to balance work on both longer term campaigns and projects, and quick reactive campaigns
- You are skilled in creating media angles and securing coverage that could help us win campaigns
- You are able to apply your political knowledge to impact decision makers
- You have the ability to grasp new systems, new tools and new ideas and issues quickly
- You’re open-minded and willing to learn new approaches to your role and the culture
- You’d enjoy managing the moving parts of a project or campaign. This includes leading a team, making quick decisions, making mistakes and learning from them
- You would thrive in a culture which encourages you to innovate, take risks & are prepared to get things wrong, as well as creating relationships in the team which enable a high level of trust
- You are a good strategic thinker , and could create winning campaigns strategies
There are no formal education requirements for this role. As long as you can show us you have the skills we don’t mind where you got them from! Also important to us is your potential to learn and grow in the role so even if you don’t have 100% of the skills listed we want to hear from you.
Our commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
38 Degrees wants to make democracy work for everyone. That means living up to that mission by having a team that represents our membership and our location, making 38 Degrees a genuinely inclusive space to work. We are currently under-represented by people of colour, trans and non-binary people, older people and disabled people. We welcome applicants from these groups.
38 Degrees is deeply committed to inclusive working practices, so during the application process we commit to:
- Paying for childcare whilst you’re at 38 Degrees interviews or tasks
- Paying for your travel costs to the office and back
- Paying you for any trial days
- Making any reasonable adjustments - for example ensuring we have BSL interpreters organised in advance if you’d like them
- If there anything else you’re concerned about or think we could provide, please let us know
The application process consists of a short form for you to fill out, along with your CV. If successful, this will be followed by a short call with one of our recruitment team or campaigns staff, a task to prepare and an extended onsite interview at our London office.