Africa Regional Campaigner
350.org is looking for a Regional Campaigner to drive, facilitate and coordinate the campaign network, while at the same time lead and / or support specific single African campaign efforts that allow for broad African engagement.
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way—everywhere at once, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation around the world. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. 350.org strives to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
About the Africa Regional Campaigner position:
- Coordinate the implementation of the regional campaign strategy through supporting 350Africa.org field organisers
- Work with staff, regional campaign groups and volunteers to assess the specific campaign needs and address them accordingly;
- Help campaign groups and partners to develop strong campaigns with clear targets and strategies;
- Facilitate learning and innovation on campaign tactics and identify strategic commonalities and best practices to be shared between regional struggles.
- Work with regional staff to develop strategic campaigns, in alignment with 350.org’s strategic steer;
- Ensure that all campaigns are relevant to Africa, and at the same time align with related campaigning moments at regional and international levels;
Lead on implementing campaigns at a regional level, drawing on the support of regional campaign groups and partners;
- Coordinate and manage logistical support for campaign activities as required, including information-gathering, meeting facilitation, training and coaching campaign staff & volunteers.
- Understand 350.org’s history campaigns, and theory of social change, and keep current with basic climate science and policy. From time to time, use this knowledge to represent 350.org's perspective in varied public venues based on geographic location and areas of expertise.
From time to time, contribute work towards 350.org's overall mission that is outside of standard responsibilities and instead relies solely on geographic location or work capacity.
- Relevant work experience with a regional and/or international organisation
- At least three (3) years of experience in campaign coordination
- Proficient in campaigning development and project management
- Strategic thinking and strong self-management capacity
- Experience leading a team of people
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Solid understanding of the political and social landscape and developments across Africa.
Position Type: Full-time
Application Deadline: This position is open until filled
Start Date: November, 2018
Compensation: Competitive compensation based on experience
Location: Anywhere in Africa (with a preference for Abuja, Abidjan, Dakar, Nairobi or Johannesburg)
Application Information: We hope to begin the interview process by as soon as possible, but this position is open until filled.
If you have suggestions for us on how to do this better, we really value your input and strongly encourage you to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Hiring Feedback’.