WE ARE GAMEMAKERS
We are a diverse group of developers driven by a passion for our art, united by our core values and inspired by a culture of inclusivity to build amazing games that thrill players everywhere. We pursue growth and innovation in an environment of safety and trust. Our culture is built on the belief that the more varied voices in our collective will strengthen our team and our games. We are looking for our next teammate who will raise our bar and make us better.
31st Union is seeking the talents of a highly self-motivated Lighting Artist who enjoys a collaborative and creative work environment. The Lighting Artist will work directly with content creators to give them the power to create amazing experiences and to support our culture of iterative design to make AAA games.
What we need:
A passionate and talented Lighting Artist possessing solid artistic skills, including a thorough understanding of color theory, composition, lighting, shadows and exposure system. You have experience with a 3D CG rendering package (e.g Maya, Blender, Keyshot etc.), demonstrating a solid understanding of rendering and physical lighting system and how it is simulated in a real-time CG.
- Collaborate with Art Director, Lead Lighting artists and engineers to create compelling, consistent lighting for a variety of internal and external environments that reach visual targets throughout the game.
- Partner with our rendering and tools engineers to help drive the evolution of our lighting tools and pipelines.
- Work closely with the art, tech art, and design departments to conceptualize and implement real-time lighting solutions that satisfy both aesthetic and gameplay objectives.
- Anticipate and work well within different production and technical constraints and understand the budgeting restrictions associated with them.
- Create, maintain, and communicate documentation for lighting guidelines and implementation techniques.
Who you are:
You understand the influence of a shadow or reflection. You know the warmth evoked by a ray of sunlight. You are obsessed by the impact adding lighting to game environments has to create atmosphere, tone, depth and a touch of realism in the game. Your careful choices and placement will emphasize drama, narrative, and also clarify gameplay elements and location. You will leverage your artistic sense of aesthetics to create lighting in environments that bring the Art Director’s vision to life, as well as your technical knowledge to make sure that the lighting runs within budget of the game runtime performance.
- Proven industry experience creating high-quality final lighting/rendering for Games
- Deep understanding of CG lighting technology, both real-time and offline rendering
- Thorough understanding of direct/indirect lighting, color spaces, color theory, exposure, HDR lighting, global illumination and physical based shading
- Good understanding of real-time performance challenges, and tradeoffs of various engine lighting technology such as UE4/UE5 and Unity
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt in using proprietary tools/engine
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process
SECURITY NOTICE - We have recently been made aware of increasing occurrences of bad actors posing as company HR personnel to gain information from "potential candidates", in the form of job interviews and offers. These scams can be quite sophisticated and appear legitimate.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com accounts.
If you believe you have been a victim of such a scam, you may fill out a complaint form at https://complaint.ic3.gov/ and https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/ detailing as much as possible. We are taking these matters very seriously and apologize for any inconvenience.
Join our mission: Bring fun, inspiration and awe to our lives and to our community:
31st Union prides itself on the diversity of its team members, partners, and communities. For this reason, we remain committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all aspects of the employment relationship, from recruitment and hiring through compensation, benefits, discipline and termination. This means that employment at 31st Union depends on your substantive ability, objective qualifications and work ethic – not on your age, race (including traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), height, weight, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity and expression), alienage or citizenship status, transgender, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability (actual or perceived), medical condition, AIDS/HIV, denial of family and medical care leave, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, pregnancy status, childbirth, breastfeeding (or related medical conditions), marital status or registered domestic partner status, political activity or affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, arrest record, or taking or requesting statutorily protected leaves, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are also committed to ensuring that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the job application and/or interview process, to perform their essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us if you need to request a reasonable accommodation.