What We’re Looking For:
We accept applications from remote employees in the following US states: CO, CT, ME, NH, NJ, NY and VT.
Data Engineering has built a best in class data platform leveraging tools such as snowflake, dbt_ and prefect. Now that the foundations have been laid the team is beginning to look toward what is next; and evolving our foundation to climb to the next rung of the analytics maturity model.
edX is looking to add a Data Engineer to set their vision on that next rung and to help us climb.
Your work will enable the Data group to evolve, automate and scale and impact edXers across the company as we keep the data flowing and enable edX to continue to mature as a data-driven organization - and achieve our potential to transform education for learners globally.
The Data Engineering (DE) team’s work lies at the foundation of all that edX does. The accurate, timely and usable data that DE provides to the organization drives business reporting and decision-making, product innovation, customer-facing data offerings and more.
Data Engineering works alongside data analysts and scientists, product engineering, and business stakeholders across the organization to provide the data platform and technical solutions that enable edX to drive value from its data. If you are looking to make an outsized impact on an organization, Data Engineering at edX is the place for you.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Maintain and help improve Data Engineering’s best in class infrastructure
- Be relentless in your distaste for toil; automating and removing processes and systems that are no longer serving their purpose
- Build automation and tooling to help data move fast, we strive for idempotent, reproducible systems and results
- Be data driven in your work, instrumenting the tools Data Engineering builds and tuning system performance
- Rapidly diagnose and resolve faults with data services and pipelines as a member of an on-call rotation - ensuring the data flows throughout our ecosystem smoothly
- Collaborate with peers in and out of the Data team to troubleshoot and propose and document solutions
- Proactively communicate issues, status or roadblocks
- Help optimize alerting, data processes and on-call rotations to reduce fatigue and improve efficiency of our operations
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Experience in a dev-ops or site reliability engineering role or
- Experience building efficient data pipelines, performance tuning, and integrating disparate data sources and types, including high volume semi-structured and unstructured data (e.g., JSON, etc.)
- Understanding of cloud-based data warehousing and ELT/ETL techniques and processes
- Experience working in AWS systems
- Experience working in Python
- Collaborative and pragmatic, with and enthusiasm for learning and continuous improvement
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Experience with Snowflake and dbt_ (https://www.getdbt.com/)
- Experience with pipeline data pipeline tools such as Prefect, Luigi or Airflow
- Experience with or a desire to learn about Terraform and Kubernetes.
- Experience master data management, data modeling and preparing data for analysis
- Enthusiasm for Agile/Scrum processes
edX is the education movement for restless learners. Together with our founding partners Harvard and MIT, we’ve brought together more than 38 million learners, the majority of top-ranked universities in the world, and industry-leading companies onto one online learning platform that supports learners at every stage. And we’re not stopping there—as a global nonprofit, we’re relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location.
About 2U, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $100,000.00 with potential bonus. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.