Headquartered in the heart of Cambridge’s Technology Square, we also accept applications from remote employees in the following US states: MA, CO, CT, ME, NH, NJ, NY, RI, VT.
What We’re Looking For:
The Experience team within edX is growing! Our embedded Agile structure allows the group to influence and shape the user experience across the edX platform. In this role within our Engagement theme, you’ll partner closely with members of product design, product management, and engineering to improve the end-to-end learner experience; from searching for a course to interacting with our learning management system (LMS) on our mobile app to celebrating with a certificate or degree. We are also underway with building our design system for the future. From course cards to our more complex patterns, these efforts will enable our core product teams and in the future our large open source community.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Shape the strategic vision of key engagement areas of the platform (including search and acquisition, mobile app, and courseware) in close partnership with cross-functional leads (engineering, product, marketing)
- Manage and maintain our design system and pattern library while empowering contributors from engineering and design to help develop the breadth and depth of the UI of our platform
- Act as a servant leader, mentor, and subject matter expert to help elevate the quality of work within the overall Experience team
- Manage and support the career development and performance needs of a small team of product designers
- Lead and mentor others in discovery research using multiple methods while widely sharing insights to the cross functional team as well as with the organization
- Influence, model, and scale ways of working beyond the local product design team to evangelize customer-centric design into the larger organization
- Plan and facilitate broader design review sessions including feedback synthesis in real time to articulate and capture next steps and solutions with team members and stakeholders
- Proactively prioritize, manage, and identify opportunities for value-added work through formal and informal channels
- Rigorously measure the impact of design work and provide evidence-based design guidance to teams and stakeholders
- Thrive in ambiguity; lead problem-solving within complex systems with ease
- Act as an innovation catalyst by identifying opportunities for step-function change
- Establish best practices and philosophies around a variety of tools and techniques
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Relevant experience in a product design (UX/UI) role ~10+ years
- 3+ years of experience mentoring, coaching and/or managing team members
- High EQ which helps you collaborate with colleagues of all levels, bring cross-functional teams together, and foster a supportive manager/employee relationship
- The desire to partner with a cross-functional team to reach great solutions, educate and influence through design best practices
- Deep expertise with delivering and managing design work for Product Development in an Agile environment
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Experience creating high fidelity designs
- Expertise in managing and maintaining design system and pattern libraries
- Experience with defining both happy path and edge case story maps that consider engineering as well as business constraints
- Expertise in identifying the need for and facilitating collaborative group activities and/or workshops with colleagues
- Experience with concept validation research, usability testing, and other methods of customer research
- Passion for inspiring others in the org to engage with customers, design thinking and UX/UI best practices
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Front-end engineering skills
- Interest in creating centers of excellence
- Specialize in information architecture (IA)
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world's top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 40 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
About 2U, Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break
In Colorado, the anticipated base salary for this role is $145,000.00 with potential bonus. Note: The final compensation for this position may consider factors including the geographic location where the work is performed (candidate’s assigned office) and prior work experience of the candidate.
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.