What We’re Looking For:
The Senior Director, Academic Presentation is accountable for the successful presentation management of the GetSmarter short course portfolio, through oversight of the teams responsible for the preparation, delivery and maintenance of short courses.
They are responsible for setting and developing the strategic direction for the functions within the Academic Presentation department to enable the delivery of high-quality course presentations and maintenance that meet the expectations of students and University Partners. They oversee the following functions: Academic Strategy, Academic Management (including Academic Administration and Recruitment), Onboarding and Training of temporary workforce teams, LT Presentation and Academic Maintenance and Iteration (CI). Collectively, these functions are responsible for 1) ensuring that course content is relevant, accurate, and available to students in the right format at the right time, 2) ensuring that students are effectively added to their selected courses on the online campus and, 3) ensuring that the facilitation and teaching delivered to students remains aligned to the learning design and effectively supports an optimal learning experience.
The Senior Director role engages with multiple stakeholders both internally and externally. The incumbent will be required to lead and support cross-functional, collaborative projects across the department as well as collaborate with senior leaders within the Course Design and Production teams. They will also work closely with all Short Course GMs to serve as a key stakeholder and escalation point for University Partners and students as it relates to ongoing course maintenance, delivery and presentation.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
Team Focus areas:
- Provide teaching team and classroom model strategies to inform future Short Course product models.
- Support the launch of new teaching team and classroom model strategies into Academic Management.
- Ensure accurate budget management and planning of teaching team and SME costs.
- All teaching team onboarding and management per presentations aligned to faculty requirements.
- Ensuring quality delivery by teaching teams, monitoring, reporting and implementation of key initiatives aligned with our strategic requirements.
- Quality delivery of all Live Sessions and implementation of key initiatives aligned with our strategic requirements.
- All teaching team and related UP records administration as per our UP and course requirements.
Recruitment, Contracting, Onboarding and Training
- Sourcing, assessment and finalisation of Teaching Teams and SMEs with all stakeholders, on time and on budget.
- Contract negotiation and finalisation.
- Onboarding of a fixed-term contract workforce.
- Training fixed-term contract workforce on our processes and approaches to ensure fast and efficient delivery and productivity.
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance of course content on the existing course portfolio through planned and ad hoc reviews.
- Execute on all P1 reviews and evaluations planned in the Maintenance Schedule.
- Implement iterative review changes and updates on live courses.
- Responsible for the technical setup and administration of all live short course presentations.
- Responsible for the management and enrollment of internal teams (teaching teams) and external stakeholders (students, Faculty) on the online campus.
- Responsible for group allocations and configurations per presentation on the online campus.
Key Drivers: Efficiency, Profitability
- Lead and manage Academic Presentation teams including Academic Strategy, Academic Management, Academic Administration, Academic Recruitment, LT Presentations and the Iterations teams. This includes performance management, training, goal-setting and career pathing.
- Oversee the daily operations of the Academic Presentation teams and processes for new and existing short courses.
- Build and grow the team as the scope of work shifts.
Stakeholder Management & Communication:
Key Drivers: Revenue, Relationships
- Ensure clear and regular communication with key stakeholders throughout the Academic Presentation process to manage expectations, identify key challenges to ensure high-quality delivery to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Work as an advisor to and escalation point for University Partners in all matters pertaining to Academic Presentation.
- Collaborate with the US Snr Director, Academic Recruitment and Development to a robust and efficient centre of excellence in this department.
- Work collaboratively with all the Academic Presentation and Course Design and Production functions in setting and meeting company targets and priorities.
Process and planning:
Key Drivers: Efficiency, Profitability
- Ongoing reviews and optimisations of process across Academic Presentation teams to ensure long-term scalability aligned to our business objectives.
- Create & maintain effective teaching team designs and models to ensure we have scaleable teaching team resourcing solutions for the ongoing academic design of short courses.
- Conduct research and stay abreast of key best practice developments in support of all Academic Presentation teams.
- Identify and report on key metrics in Academic Presentation to better understand and predict trends to inform business decisions.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Business, Operations or Communications preferred.
- 10+ years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- 10+ years’ managing and leading cross-functional teams.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong customer service background.
- Strong research skills.
- Experience and understanding of working with stakeholders in the academic sector.
- Experience and understanding of LMS systems, support desk systems and recruitment tools.
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change.
- Experience supporting a fast-paced, high growth organization.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and operational skills.
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Strong communication skills with the ability to relate to people at all levels. You should have the ability to approach each scenario from all perspectives.
- Ability to research scenarios and provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to bring out other people’s potential and talents.
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage information with confidence and discretion.
- Aptitude to learn about multiple short courses very quickly.
- An interest in higher education.
- A self-starter.
- A strong strategic thinker.
- Irregular work schedule required to accommodate meetings across different time zones.
- Director, Academic Strategy.
- Senior Manager, Academic Recruitment & Development.
- Senior Manager, Academic Management.
- Manager, Learning Technology.
- Manager Course Iterations.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
Eliminating the back row in higher education is not just a metaphor–it’s our mission. For more than a decade, 2U, Inc., a global leader in education technology, has been a trusted partner and brand steward of great universities. We build, deliver, and support more than 250 digital and in-person educational offerings, including graduate degrees, professional certificates, Trilogy-powered boot camps, and GetSmarter short courses. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 150,000 students and lifelong learners. To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
GetSmarter, a brand of 2U, Inc., partners with the world's leading universities to select, design and deliver premium online short courses which enables lifelong learners across the globe to obtain industry-relevant skills that are certified by the world’s most reputable academic institutions.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
2U is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.
Why It’s Great to Work at 2U
2U Cape Town offers a high-energy work environment that’s both challenging and fun. We work hard, but our offices are casual and social places. We wear jeans to work and fuel brainstorming sessions with coffee from our in-house barista. We have other in-house perks like subsidised healthy meals, a gym with free yoga sessions and social events all year round. We celebrate special milestones like birthdays and workaversaries, truly showing that #RelationshipsMatter.
2U Cape Town offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organizations
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.